NAB preview

Phil Rhodes

• Premium Member

I wrote a NAB preview for BTL News.

http://www.btlnews.com/gear/nab-2011-show-me-the-toys/

Happily, it doesn't have one of those "reader comments" things, so I won't have people arguing with me there. Feel free to argue with me here, though!

I've agree with Tim to post some regular NAB coverage here, during the show, as well, so watch this space.

P

Phil.

You say:

"that count includes rather questionable examples like Clash of the Titans and The Last Airbender, both of which were shot as 2D then converted in postproduction, an approach that even people who had been fans of 3D often fall over themselves to disown."

I have noticed some of the new 3D movies including the phrase "filmed in 3D" in the VO for the on-air spots. This is interesting...has the public figured out that post 2D to 3D conversions look crappier than 3D movies actually shot with proper 3D cameras?

R,

Phil, I think it's a nice start, but it felt like just that -- a start, as if there should have been another page or two in there. You mention the AF100 but the Sony F3 has been shipping for more than a month now. You mention the CineDeck "should" be recording compressed formats as well as uncompressed but it has been doing that since the day it first shipped back in the summer. And I saw no mention of the expanding use of RAW capture, which is an interesting technological trend no matter one's opinion on it.

I know it's just a short introduction article, but when you have room to slip in mentions of the Convergent Design Gemini and plenty of snarky cracks at various manufacturers and their products (which I don't mind as they make for a fun read), I feel you missed some real opportunities. I certainly hope you make it to the AbelCine booth among others to discover a lot of items worthy of mention.

• Premium Member

Sure, I can sit there and rewrite press releases about Sony and Panasonic and so on, but that's pretty much what everyone else is doing, and I take the position that it isn't really journalism. If you read the post-NAB writeup I did last year you'll see a lot of coverage of small, independent manufacturers at the expense of some of the big, obvious releases and this is quite intentional.

P

Fair enough, but journalism is also seeking out information. A post-NAB wrap-up based on your own research makes a lot of sense and I'm sure has great value. So why wouldn't a pre-NAB article benefit from research as well? Press releases can be of value if only to say "this might be interesting to look at" or "these guys have it all wrong."

I don't mean to sit here and be critical. You put yourself out there and that's commendable. I'm just saying that there's a lot of interesting things going on that I'm sure you are either well aware of or could find with minimal effort. Surely you use this information as a guide on what you plan to investigate while at NAB? Wouldn't stating "this is some of the stuff I plan to check out" be of value in a pre-NAB story?

• 2 weeks later...

This might be of interest to you guys. iPod 4, shallow depth of field adapter and a 35m lens!

http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/index.php?t=video%2FCineDesign+iShoot35+35mm+DoF+adaptor+interface+for+cinema+quality+HD+acquisition+on+Apple+iPhone+4%2F%2Fautoplay

It's a nuts bit of kit! Possiblt this item will on show at NAB, Wish I could go!

This might be of interest to you guys. iPod 4, shallow depth of field adapter and a 35m lens!

http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/index.php?t=video%2FCineDesign+iShoot35+35mm+DoF+adaptor+interface+for+cinema+quality+HD+acquisition+on+Apple+iPhone+4%2F%2Fautoplay

It's a nuts bit of kit! Possiblt this item will on show at NAB, Wish I could go!

It's also 1st April... But some people are into their "i"s.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha, I got a big laugh out of your article. No mention of Red of course. How long you gonna hate on Red Phil? I'm sure all the films shooting on Epics is driving you crazy. Red created possibly the greatest movie camera ever with the Epic yet you still act as if they are garbage. Shoot with one and you will become a believer. Or don't and stay in the dark.

• Premium Member

Red created possibly the greatest movie camera ever with the Epic yet you still act as if they are garbage.

No, the greatest movie camera ever was the Panavized F900 CineAlta, at least according to George Lucas in 1999. Only surpassed by the Plus8Digital-ized F950 two years later of course.

Shoot with one and you will become a believer.

You may well become a believer. Whether you become a capable, competent, credible and above all, profitable cinematographer, tends to be somewhat format agnostic.

Red created possibly the greatest movie camera ever with the Epic yet you still act as if they are garbage.

I assume you have shot extensively with the Epic in order to come to this conclusion. If not, then you're just another fanboy who believes anything they read at REDuser.

• Premium Member

There again a 35mm lens adapter has already been stuck in front of an iphone to make a feature.

http://ifilmography.posterous.com/iphone-4-film-behind-the-scenes-of-night-fish

I've always beed astounded by the quality of the 1280 x 720p picture from my Samsung Wave mobile phone. If they added two or three more sensors with different fixed focal length lenses, (instead of a zoom, which would be unworkable in a device that size) it would be a dynamite product. You could have one main image and the others as thumbnails, which you could switch to by tapping the screen.

Considering you can edit in-camera, and then email in your edited video files, this would be a fantastic tool for covert ENG operations. The picture quality is certainly up there.

I actually suggested this to Samsung, but I never got a reply, apart from a lot of Samsung Spam....

• Premium Member

Red created possibly the greatest movie camera ever with the Epic yet you still act as if they are garbage. Shoot with one and you will become a believer.

It would be fun to shoot an Epic side by side with an Alexa, difficult stuff like an interior lit only by a bare bulb in the shot, unlit day interior with open window, violets and teals that challenge the gamut..... We've used the Red One MX and Alexa extensively. Alexa wins that contest. Of course it should, for three times the money.

-- J.S.

I assume you have shot extensively with the Epic in order to come to this conclusion. If not, then you're just another fanboy who believes anything they read at REDuser.

I have shot both film and digital and based on my experience, the new Red is without a doubt the most revolutionary, user friendly, capable camera system I have ever seen. No fanboy talk here, I like Arri, Aaton, Sony ect. but tis camera truly lives up to the hype. This camera is everything that Red wanted the One and MX to be but failed to accomplish. The workflow is rock solid and fast, the footage is stunning and the DR is off the charts. Trust me, you need to use this camera. Even Phil would have a hard time talking s%#* about it. The Arri Alexa beats the Red MX but the Epic beats the Alexa in every single category including resolution, dynamic range, frame rate, form factor and data storage. It's time to get real. The Epic is not the One or the MX, it is a fully flushed out system that resolves all of the issues that the first generation system had. The whole Red fanboy accusation is getting old.

It would be fun to shoot an Epic side by side with an Alexa, difficult stuff like an interior lit only by a bare bulb in the shot, unlit day interior with open window, violets and teals that challenge the gamut..... We've used the Red One MX and Alexa extensively. Alexa wins that contest. Of course it should, for three times the money.

-- J.S.

I agree that the Alexa beats the MX but based on what I have seen, especially with HDRX on the Epic, Arri will have a hard time topping the Epic. And the Alexa is not three times more expensive than the machined version of the Epic ($58,000). Both are low quantity, hand made machined cameras. Having seen the Epic M in person, I can say that the build quality is as good as the Alexa. Yes, the assembly line cast body Epic X will probably be built to lower tolerances but that is expected considering the $28,000 price tag.

I have shot both film and digital

Having seen the Epic M in person

But have you shot with the Epic, or are you basing that opinion on published specs and demo footage? RED are very skilled at marketing, but occasionally their hyperbole gets out of control. Consequently, it's wise to take what they say about their own products with a pinch of salt. As Epic has only recently started shipping, and then only to a select few, it is hard to see how anyone can have had enough hands on experience, in real world shooting situations, to declare Epic 'The Greatest Movie Camera Ever'

Frankly, statements of that nature are best left on REDuser.

• Premium Member

But have you shot with the Epic, or are you basing that opinion on published specs and demo footage? RED are very skilled at marketing, but occasionally their hyperbole gets out of control. Consequently, it's wise to take what they say about their own products with a pinch of salt. As Epic has only recently started shipping, and then only to a select few, it is hard to see how anyone can have had enough hands on experience, in real world shooting situations, to declare Epic 'The Greatest Movie Camera Ever'

Frankly, statements of that nature are best left on REDuser.

Yes! Andrew. Show us something you shot on the RED EPIC. That would at least be confirmation of your credentials!

Yes! Andrew. Show us something you shot on the RED EPIC. That would at least be confirmation of your credentials!

I never said I shot with one, I said I saw one in person (at NAB to be specific). How about you go out and shoot with it yourself. You don't see me running around demanding that people prove their credentials. People on this site really shock me sometimes.

I'm not just talking out of my ass. Watch this if you care to be informed:http://www.fxguide.com/fxguidetv/fxguidetv-106-epic-april-fxphd/

• Premium Member

I never said I shot with one, I said I saw one in person (at NAB to be specific). How about you go out and shoot with it yourself. You don't see me running around demanding that people prove their credentials. People on this site really shock me sometimes.

I'm not just talking out of my ass. Watch this if you care to be informed:http://www.fxguide.com/fxguidetv/fxguidetv-106-epic-april-fxphd/

I would love to shoot with the RED EPIC ! Having shot various things with the RED MX which I think is an excellent camera, the best digital camera I've shot so far!

Having said that I shot a commercial last week on the F3 and on the field monitor it looked very impressive! Yet to see the final results.

The point I'm trying to make ( and Stuart who is a feature film DP!) is that we try to base our comments on actual experience. Then we all benefit!