ultra crazy high megapixel c mount machine visions lenses?

No, you see lens makers now market high resolution machine vision lenses as megapixel lenses. For example, google, megapixel machine vision lens and you will see a few examples. Some of them resolve up to 200 lpm in the centre. There is a manyfacturer that puts out some very high res lenses and I cant for the life of me remember the name.

There's the cause of the confusion. Megapixels refers to the resolution of a camera's sensor, not the lens that is on it. Calling it a 'megapixel' lens is like calling it a 'color' lens.

Yes and no. I am aware of what you are writing sbout however in their industry the lenses are marketed as megapixel lens. Therefore in their business, the term has a meaning because it excludes other types of lenses. So I am actually asking about something specific by using that term. And in fact, it can be said that megapixel is their version of what some companies refer to as HD lenses in the film industry.

• Site Sponsor

Were you thinking about the Kowa 1" C-Mount 'megapixel' machine vision lenses?

http://www.jknelectronics.com/kowalens.htm (scroll down for the 1" lenses) I got a 12.5mm for Super-16 on a Bolex looks nice, not as many blades in the iris as I would like but nice glass.

-Rob-

Yes and no. I am aware of what you are writing sbout however in their industry the lenses are marketed as megapixel lens. Therefore in their business, the term has a meaning because it excludes other types of lenses. So I am actually asking about something specific by using that term. And in fact, it can be said that megapixel is their version of what some companies refer to as HD lenses in the film industry.

I get what you are saying, but still, the term 'Megapixel' in this context is meaningless. For instance, B&H are showing a Pentax "5 megapixel' lens on their website, but what does that actually tell you about the lens? Nothing. The resolving power of the lens is what is important, not what camera it is attached to. After all, you can use 40 year old lenses on state of the art digital cameras, or stick a Master prime on a BL4.

There is some reason to it. most machine vision lenses are crap. by using that term, they are indicating three times the resolving power of the lens or more compared to standard lenses. Im also looking for someone that is familliar with the lenses that Im trying to track down and that is a term that somebody might recognize. Its better for me to mention terms that are attatched to the products Im trying to track down than not I think if I want to jog somebody's memory.

by using that term, they are indicating three times the resolving power of the lens or more compared to standard lenses

No, they're not. Resolving power is not measured in megapixels.

I absolutely understand what you are saying and the need for you refer to these manufacturers terms, but as this is a Cinematography forum, I think there's a need to cut through any manufacturer's BS and misinformation and make it clear that these terms mean nothing. If we don't, the next thing will be a post from a student somewhere asking how many megapixels a Master prime is.

No, they're not. Resolving power is not measured in megapixels.

I absolutely understand what you are saying and the need for you refer to these manufacturers terms, but as this is a Cinematography forum, I think there's a need to cut through any manufacturer's BS and misinformation and make it clear that these terms mean nothing. If we don't, the next thing will be a post from a student somewhere asking how many megapixels a Master prime is.

Yeah but when you are trying to get information from people its probably best to use language that will jog their memory unless you know the lenses Im looking for.

• 2 months later...

I think the lenses you refer are Kowa 10 Mega pixel lenses.

http://www.kowa-usa.com/kowanewweb/lenses/fa1.html

We have two sets and use them on LMP HD 1200. They are very nice lenses all be is a little breathing on focus. The focus very close as well 100mm. Nice Bokeh for a lens of this size.

The work well for 3D but the breathing needs to be checked to ensure correct setting of back focus to ensure the image size is identical. They can be fitted with lens rings to to remote

They are better described as a 200 Lines per millimeter rather than in Mega pixel lenses for our use.

Yeh, this is a lazy method of talking about resolution ...

'Megapixels' only make any sense in terms of lens resolving power once a sensor size is introduced - one you have that you can define the actual physical size of the pixels that need to be resolved too...

So my guess the sensor size is standard - hence they start talkin in the slightly abstracted sense of megapixels ... probably for marketing purposes

As long as this stuff is understood there is no need for argument and meaningless statements such as 'it is what it is' can apply :lol: