Noisy HD Telecine

Caio Pedron Peres

Hi, everyone! I recently filmed with 7213 stock (Kodak, 200T Vision 3) on Super 16. Now I'm watching it on a ".MOV" (QuickTime), HD (1920x1080), codec: Y'CbCr 10 bit 4:2:2 HD (1-1-1) from the lab telecine. I just see it too noisy for my taste, since it's well exposed and there's no color grading. The monitor is an IMac blacklit LED display with higher resolution. Isn't it supposed to be a "clean" image?

Thank you!

Caio

• Premium Member

If you're new to film and used to the "pristine" quality of digital, even well exposed S16 footage make look a little noisy depending on exposure and lighting. Also, remember that a still or paused frame will have more noticeable grain than when it is actually playing.

This is one reason why it's good to sit in on the transfer session and you can ask them to dial in a little noise reduction if it is really an issue.

It could also be a transfer on a cheap telecine by an operator that didn't take the time needed to clean it up so maybe if you post something we can give a better qualified opinion.

I rated it 125 ASA, because I had a 85 filter on camera, since there was a HMI one meter and a half from the little boy's face. Just the old fashion way.

The transfer was a HD (1920x1080), codec: Y'CbCr 10 bit (linear) 4:2:2 HD (1-1-1), ".MOV".

And, yes, I was full open on this one, I know it´s the worst resolution, but I also shot a lot on T4.0 and in this kind of visualization it's tha same noise.

• 3 weeks later...

i've had the same problem, i've never been able to pay for scene to scene supervised telecine and stuff with some dark comes out noisy.

my guess is since it's being scanned through a process much like when a digital video camera tries to adjust to a dark scene, it adds noise in it's struggle to find detail.

i'd rather they just let scenes have more black in them but it doesn't seem to work that way since i can't afford supervised.

i use neat brand noise reduction plugin or fcp, it works well and it still looks like film.

• 9 months later...