Bargain Blu-Ray DVDs

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Blue Ray will never dominate. Thank god.

Ultimately you'll be buying film on keys and any money poured into Blue Ray now is only good for filling your attic.

I'm not going to even bother explaining why that will never happen, to someone who cannot even spell Blu-ray correctly.

• Premium Member

Well, at one time TV stations used to air prints run through a telecine, or a 35mm print put on 3/4 inch video tape. Those images (print depending, which was usually pretty battered, even though it ws 35mm) were full of detail, and looked more than passable on broadcast TV.

In that vein, I don't see VOD being a problem save for the fact that the cables aren't laid and homes don't have the hardware as yet to recieve the data for a new printed 12K/frame image (or however many Ks you want in there).

With TV signal, you don't have that problem. It's up to the consumer to buy the right TV and aerial to get the best picture he can. I think once the network has been revamped to carry more data, then VOD will be the way to go.

Comparing my regular DVDs to some of the films I taped on VHS and BETA umpteen years back, I can honestly say that DVD, even though it allows widescreen, presents an image that, to me at least, feels like a generation or two has been lost in the transfer.

If that's the case, and Blu-ray only improves on that some, then I see VOD being the new "TV" for the 21st century.

Just me :)

• Premium Member

VOD already is the TV of the present. Most TV's/TV devices have connectivity built in now. Some form of VOD will continue to rise as the new standard, along with cloud storage/sharing of media and take over for the most part.

For those who don't know what's happening in the media consumption world, people (myself included) are already getting close or same-as Bluray quality on streaming TV's now. Next year I bet it will be even better. It will go to 4K at some point, of course, and so on.

I hope I can keep buying Blu/Red/Green-rays too, same with film stocks, for a long time to come but it will all become more of a specialty item too soon I think.

This was all completely inevitable.

Toshiba/Sony really needed to get it together and come up with a united front for the new format. Instead they got into a big battle with one another and the consumer just walked away. Now VOD is very much on the rise as expected and people are only looking for quality to match their DVD's by and large.

Which leaves blu-ray where exactly?

Blu Ray is the new laser disc. A high end niche format for those who care about high quality images in their movies.

I imagine it will be able to struggle on in that form for a long time to come but it's sad because it could have all been so much more.

love

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

I'm not going to even bother explaining why that will never happen, to someone who cannot even spell Blu-ray correctly.

No go on, I'd be interested.

Apologies for the spelling error, but the format isn't even on my radar.

Edited by Rex Orwell

Blu Ray is the new laser disc. A high end niche format for those who care about high quality images in their movies.

Freya's right. But the high quality images will come to the rest of us soon enough anyways, in fact more so.

VOD already is the TV of the present. Most TV's/TV devices have connectivity built in now. Some form of VOD will continue to rise as the new standard, along with cloud storage/sharing of media and take over for the most part.

For those who don't know what's happening in the media consumption world, people (myself included) are already getting close or same-as Bluray quality on streaming TV's now. Next year I bet it will be even better. It will go to 4K at some point, of course, and so on.

I hope I can keep buying Blu/Red/Green-rays too, same with film stocks, for a long time to come but it will all become more of a specialty item too soon I think.

The problem with Hi-Def VOD is that the ISP are penalizing it's customers over bandwidth rates and limits. Sure, go to 4K but you will pay an arm and a leg for the privilege.

• 2 weeks later...

I much prefer to have actual physical media.

I agree. But Its the unsurity of what form this will actually take. DVD's themselves are a flawed format given how fragile the medium is. Many of my DVD's have been well taken care of, but skip in places. When examined the disc shows no evidence of scratching. It could be argued that it's the quality of the laser, yet I've played some of these discs on high end players with the same results. This is another reason I'm in favour of piracy and the ability to download films in AVI etc free of charge (and you can read my insight into SOPA and PIPA here). The medium is a marketing moneyspinner.

It's preferred for me to go out like a good little consumer and re-buy films I've already paid for which I refuse to do. My habits have developed into watching a bulk library of AVI files in constant rotation, and leaving the DVD inside the box. The DVD has already become more of an ornament.

My prediction of sticks was mocked by another member further up, but to me it seems the most logical avenue, in which case, is it really a form of physical media?

Anyway,

MG Siegler on the death of Blu-Ray (sp!) :

a3.jpg?w=288

To be clear, because of the way it’s compressed, iTunes 1080p content is not equal to the 1080p picture you’ll get from a Blu-ray disc. It’s very close, but it’s not quite there yet. I imagine it will get there as digital compression technology continues to improve. But even if it doesn’t, this is something that won’t mean a thing to the vast majority of consumers. Thanks to the marketing of television sets over the years, they know “1080p”. They don’t know that the quality can be inconstant. Fair or not, it won’t matter.

That’s one reason why the new Apple TV is such a huge win here. Previously, it was limited to displaying 720p content which undoubtedly gave some would-be purchasers pause. But a new chip (a single-core A5), some 1080p content in iTunes, and the same $99 price changes that.

But there are cheap Blu-ray players out there now, so why does the Apple TV trump those? And what about other boxes like the Roku, which can also do 1080p streaming content? One word: AirPlay.

Read on : http://techcrunch.com/2012/03/14/the-new-apple-tv/

• Premium Member

No penalties here. HD 1080p VOD all day long. Time Warner is running cable internet ads, right now, boasting as a feature "better VOD performance", etc.

By the time 4K VOD comes along, other schemes will land into place to keep up.

This all evolves every week, like it or not.

It's "Broken record" time it looks like.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Netflix lost 2.76 million DVD subscribers in the fourth quarter of 2011, as more and more of the service's customers shifted to streaming-only packages. But even if the iconic red envelopes are disappearing from a mailbox near you, Netflix still has a solid foothold in the movie marketplace. In 2012, movies viewed online are expected to outnumber movies viewed on DVD and other physical formats for the first time. Will 2012 mark the death of the DVD?

death-of-dvd.gif

• 1 month later...