November 3rd: Big News Camera announcement

Freya Black

I noticed many of you have mentioned that magic date "November 3rd" and the big announcement of a new camera! Well that day is here so I present:

The Lomokino!

A 2perf, S35, 35mm, plastic movie camera with a hand crank!

The Revolution is here!

love

Freya

• Premium Member

At last! A worthy successor to the Holga!

Well, more a complement than a successor.

Gizmodo Review

I have to tell you I've been feeling pretty Jaded with all this Nov 3 Hype-fest, but this has restored my faith in the industry :rolleyes:

What they really need is a light source you can fit inside the camera to turn it into a projector, like they did in the 1890s. If you shot on Ektachrome or similar Slide film, you could then project your projects on any available wall. You could even splice clips together for feature-length productions. Add some sort of MP3 system for sync-sound and the industry would never be the same again!

At last! A worthy successor to the Holga!

Well, more a complement than a successor.

Gizmodo Review

I have to tell you I've been feeling pretty Jaded with all this Nov 3 Hype-fest, but this has restored my faith in the industry :rolleyes:

What they really need is a light source you can fit inside the camera to turn it into a projector, like they did in the 1890s. If you shot on Ektachrome or similar Slide film, you could then project your projects on any available wall. You could even splice clips together for feature-length productions. Add some sort of MP3 system for sync-sound and the industry would never be the same again!

Ah I see canon have also released a camera, but this lomokino looks way more exciting and revolutionary to me.

I was wondering if the little slide viewer thing could be modified into a projector?

I think this could be the end.

The death of video is near.

love

Freya

• Premium Member

Ah I see canon have also released a camera, but this lomokino looks way more exciting and revolutionary to me.

I was wondering if the little slide viewer thing could be modified into a projector?

I think this could be the end.

The death of video is near.

love

Freya

And all this was done without months of hype and preamble, without whipping up fanboys into synthesized hysteria, without tedious stands at trade shows long on coloured fabric and short on hardware or actual details.

Just wham, bam, and there it is: Your sizzle, your steak, a nice side salad and a refreshing pint all delivered with a minumum of fuss by a smiling Pakistani waitress in a crisp starched uniform.

It all sounds so refreshingly... non-colonial....

• Premium Member

This is cool, yes. But I'll stick with super8.

Ah yes, didn't take long.

You Lomokino-haters couldn't wait to start with the snide comments :lol:

In all seriousness, though, you're probably going to be able to get 35mm stills film longer than you will super-8.

I was actually wondering if they couldn't come up with some sort of mechanism like that used in the old 8-track car stereos, so you could shoot three (or maybe even four) Super-8 sized strips side-by-side down the length of the film.

So the film would actually run past the gate three (or four) times, first going forwards - pulled out of the cartridge - then wound back in for the second strip, then pulled out again and so on.

If you could get 200 seconds, that would approximately equal a Super-8 cartridge.

Ideally Lomokino would also offer a specialized scanner that could convert the images to a standard video format, or if they were really clever, use the camera to do it.

• Premium Member

Hater? :huh: How am I hating on it? I think it would be a cool hobby kind of thing. A nice toy.

That was a joke. (hence the :lol: )

Don't you know that on these forums, if you make even the most minutely negative observation about XXXXX, (where XXXXX can be any format, person or thing), you are immediately branded a "XXXXX - hater"

• Premium Member

Had they announced a hand cranked 35mm camera that could actually be cranked for 22 to 26 fps, then I'd be plonking down money right now. No doubt. B)

I don't see why you couldn't turn it as fast as you want....

-- J.S.

-- J.S.

What sort of pressure plate does it have ? If any ? Registration issues amplified by potential missed pull down ? Mind you. it's a 2 perf pulldown, which would mitigate those issues ... Hmmmm.

Maybe they governed it quite harshly at its max rate to avoid people realising how little one roll of 35mm is going to get them - I'm sure a hack version with bulk loader taped to the top, black plastic bag on the bottom and a coffee grinder on the side is already in the works wink.gif

• Premium Member

Given it has a constant exposure speed of 1/100 sec I imagine it uses the same spring shutter as in their other cameras, and the crank simply advances the film, cocks the shutter and releases with each turn. If that's the case the frame rate would be limited by the fact that it's hard to wind faster than 5 turns/sec, coupled with the resistive friction of the mechanism. No doubt someone will try to attach a drill to the thing and end up with bits of plastic and shredded film everywhere. :P

It's a bit like a return to the very beginnings of amateur cine cameras - the Debrie Sept from the early 20's was a hand-cranked 35mm stills camera that took 15 feet of film and could shoot short movies. Only better built of course. It also had provision for a light bulb to be fitted in order to project the footage, which could be an option for the next Kino-Lomo model..

For anyone interested in a real hand-crankable 35mm cine camera that's affordable, these turn up on ebay every now and then for a few hundred bucks or so, take 80 feet and use interchangeable Zeiss lenses:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeiss-Ikon-Ica-Kinamo-N25-Movie-Camera-1920s-Carl-Zeiss-lens-/250917321315?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6bd67a63#ht_500wt_1118

Just make sure it comes with the loadable internal magazine. The lenses are 90 years old, but I guarantee they're better than a Holga lens! And with an occasional service (quite simple to do), the camera should easily last for another century. I just used mine, got it up to about 30 fps, and it worked beautifully.

• 3 months later...

I am telling you guys,any 35mm movie camera you can get under 100.00 whether it's an eye-mo or Lomo kino is a good start. I bought one, hacked it to drive it with a Crappy Tire cordless screwdriver (under 20 bucks new)and it will crank the drive at 200 rpm steady.Then you can make scenes like this

Lomo kino  farmer  trial

The possibilities for more are there.

Edited by Cool Papa Stubbs