Rays of light...

How can you light a scene so that there are visible beams of light? I know the conventional "smoky room" technique, but isn't there another way? I read a review of "Kodak Master Class Series: Shooting For Fantasy with Sacha Vierney and Denis Lenoir" that mentioned this video showed another method of doing just that. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by Jim Malone

• Premium Member

If you want shafts of light in the air to be visible, the light HAS to illuminate something. Smoke is usually the easiest way, but anything particulate like dust or rain can work also.

It's also best if the particulate is backlit, or at least past 90 degrees from camera. Shafts of light show up best when there's a significant brightness difference bewteen the illuminated particulate (light hitting the smoke) and the background.

So if you want shafts of light to be visible but don't want the room to appear smokey in general, try to keep the background dark, the light creating the shaft bright and coming toward the lens, and the smoke to a minimum. Oh, and a sharp edge to the beam will make it more distinguishable as well.

If the shaft of light has to be coming from another angle that's less "into" the lens, the beam has to be a lot brighter or the smoke a lot more dense for the beam to be visible.

• Premium Member

Having recently shot a feature where we used smoke extensively for four weeks, I can also add that it's imperative to have a good FX crew that can keep a sharp eye on it for consistency - whatever you use to get this effect, keep in mind that the thicker it is, the more affect it will have on your lighting (it's lowering contrast the more you have in the room). If you're shooting a scene over multiple days and don't have good notes and consistency, you'll be most unhappy in dailies later on.

Also give serious consideration to the saftey and health factor - most materials used to create this "shaft of light" look are tested for safety and you can find that information, but those tests are never done with consideration to 12+ hours of exposure over many days. I carry a gas mask (courtesy of Home Depot) in my gear bag just in case, and arrangements should be made for similar gear for the rest of the crew - this, of course, depends on the exposure to it - a few shots is probably fine, a week of inhaling that stuff is another matter altogether.

Just my thoughts.

I was shooting a spec beer commercial a couple weeks ago and used smoke pouring from a doorway to catch spilled HMI light from behind two beautiful ladies. This being to silhouette the girls and have a smoky streaky light behind them and emerging around them.

It ended up looking spectacular!!!!!!!.......... until the fire alarm went off after 3 takes and the fire trucks showed up at the bar I was shooting at (while it was occupied on other floors)and I had to use some SERIOUS damage control techniques to finish the shoot!

The smoke machine was pretty big (Red Devil it's called), but I suggest you be wary of that when using smoke indoors. I thought the artificial smoke didnt affect alarms.... Boy was I wrong...

• Premium Member
"Kodak Master Class Series: Shooting For Fantasy with Sacha Vierney and Denis Lenoir"

Where can I get that video?

I have all of them, PAL though.

included:

Robby Muller

peter James

Allen Daviau

Sacha Vierny

Dean Semler

John Seale

Don Mcalpine

Denis Lenoir

Geoff Burton.

Great Videos

• 1 month later...
Robby Muller

Peter James

Allen Daviau

Sacha Vierny

Dean Semler

John Seale

Don Mcalpine

Denis Lenoir

Geoff Burton.

And what a memorable treat it was to have all of them together in the same place at the same time, at the Australian Film TV & Radio School (AFTRS) - must be over ten years ago now - when they made these videos. 9 DoPs, but about twice as many accreditations (eg Peter James ACS, ASC, CSC).

Having recently shot a feature where we used smoke extensively for four weeks, I can also add that it's imperative to have a good FX crew that can keep a sharp eye on it for consistency - whatever you use to get this effect, keep in mind that the thicker it is, the more affect it will have on your lighting (it's lowering contrast the more you have in the room).  If you're shooting a scene over multiple days and don't have good notes and consistency, you'll be most unhappy in dailies later on.

Also give serious consideration to the saftey and health factor - most materials used to create this "shaft of light" look are tested for safety and you can find that information, but those tests are never done with consideration to 12+ hours of exposure over many days.  I carry a gas mask (courtesy of Home Depot) in my gear bag just in case, and arrangements should be made for similar gear for the rest of the crew - this, of course, depends on the exposure to it - a few shots is probably fine, a week of inhaling that stuff is another matter altogether.

Just my thoughts.

hi jayson,

i've found that a great way to get some shafts of light close to camera is to use 2 or 3 150w dedos at full spot, using the barn doors to determine the width of the beam. works a treat!

it's so easy to get the precise angle etc.of course, you will need a fair amount of smoke/atmos going on. if the beams are angled towards the lens the effect increases. give it a go . andy h

Try using dust instead of smoke. For low budget stuff use like an old blanket or something instead of the smoke machine. As a matter of fact i like that effect more then the smoke but i guess it depends on the effect you are looking for an old factorie or something the dust is great but for that beer ad i dont think it would have worked.

• Premium Member
I thought the artificial smoke didnt affect alarms.... Boy was I wrong...

I have the same problem at my school... The thing is the smoke detectors use an infrared source and pickup so that they are affected by anything that affects light.

• 2 months later...

SO i wanted to folow up on this thread.

Someone said I should use dust instead of smoke for low budget stuff. Is it possible to achieve what i tried to do with dust?

www.rkto.com

might be a dumb question, but i didnt think it would work. Keep in mind, that beacuse of the fire alarm, we only got one try at this shot.

• Premium Member
SO i wanted to folow up on this thread.

Someone said I should use dust instead of smoke for low budget stuff.  Is it possible to achieve what i tried to do with dust?

www.rkto.com

might be a dumb question, but i didnt think it would work.  Keep in mind, that beacuse of the fire alarm, we only  got one try at this shot.

I doubt what you did would have been the same with dust, it settle too quickly and you needed to have it build up quite a bit. You definately could have done something similar, but the air would have lit up quite the same without a lot of particles in the air like you did. Very nice work, by the way.