Prometheus trailer is finally up!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd 2D first to save money and see if I feel a NEED to see it in 3D (and also to avoid potential crowds of people closer to the opening of the 3D version).

Good advice, I usually go with this too. If you're near an AMC that does $6 movies before noon, IIRC, the 3D films go for $8 or $9. So I'd go see the 3D version during the $8-9 period and if it's poorly done, I won't feel as bad as when I pay $14. :)

Ridley Scott on shooting 3D:

"3D has been a wonderful exercise but I was brought up as a camera operator so its really about lensing and all that kind of stuff. So with the help I’ve had from a wonderful cameraman and his technical team its been, for me, a pretty straight forward ride. That said I’ll never work without 3D again, even for small dialogue scenes. I love the whole process. 3D opens up the universe of even a small dialogue scene so I’ve been very impressed with that."

Sauce

I wonder how comfortable the system is that he works with to view the takes in 3D after the fact (they're not really dallies any more huh - 'takies' 'shotties' ?).

i.e. does he sit in a sub optimal theatre for 2+ hrs like we do or more likely use some expensive nice 3D preview system on and off throughout a day ?

Maybe he's involved with the usual directing concerns (you'd hope so!) and leaves the 3d to a trusted team in which case 'working' with 3D bears no resemblance to the act of viewing it

I wonder how comfortable the system is that he works with to view the takes in 3D after the fact (they're not really dallies any more huh - 'takies' 'shotties' ?).

i.e. does he sit in a sub optimal theatre for 2+ hrs like we do or more likely use some expensive nice 3D preview system on and off throughout a day ?

Maybe he's involved with the usual directing concerns (you'd hope so!) and leaves the 3d to a trusted team in which case 'working' with 3D bears no resemblance to the act of viewing it

I've been working on a PROMETHEUS article and have talked to the VFX supe and previs supe so far (apparently this was Scott's bigtime indoctrination into previs, and he really took to it.) My last interview -- the main one -- is supposed to be with the DP any day now. I'm pretty sure the stereographer used to be the DP's 1st AC, and transitioned over during PIRATES 3D. But as far as who handles stereo video village, don't know about that yet.

I'll be asking about the parts of the process you mention and I imagine whoever is writing about this for AMERICAN CINEMATOGRAPHER, which usually covers Wolski's stuff and I imagine will be all over this, will be just as interested in 3D workflow issues (they probably have twice the wordspace I do, too, the rats!)

Cool - keep us updated for sure! I see Cinefex is covering it next issue also, although of course the thrust of their interest is more with the effects than photography.

I hope there was some room for some practical stuff - model work, animatronics etc...

Cool - keep us updated for sure! I see Cinefex is covering it next issue also, although of course the thrust of their interest is more with the effects than photography.

I hope there was some room for some practical stuff - model work, animatronics etc...

Me too. I don't want all CGI either.

Ridley Scott on shooting 3D:

"3D has been a wonderful exercise but I was brought up as a camera operator so its really about lensing and all that kind of stuff. So with the help I’ve had from a wonderful cameraman and his technical team its been, for me, a pretty straight forward ride. That said I’ll never work without 3D again, even for small dialogue scenes. I love the whole process. 3D opens up the universe of even a small dialogue scene so I’ve been very impressed with that."

Sauce

It looks like I will be watching this in 3D after-all, seeing as he praises it so highly.

I'm very picky about spaceship stuff, always preferring physical modelwork, but the CG stuff of the ships colliding closeup in the trailer is pretty damned good. I couldn't tell it was digital, and my eye usually has an allergy to whole-cloth CG origination on objects.

Finally supposed to get to talk with Dariusz today; first time since the original PIRATES for me.

Edited by KH Martin

Well there is a new video up that features our man Mr Scott and actually makes the film look great and really interesting! It seems 2 me like the trailers seem to focus on some of what appear to be the most flawed parts of the film, tho, I'm not 100% convinced by the apprentice feel in one of the shots here either...

Prometheus Featurette

The film is looking great tho! :) I think it looks a million times better than most of the Alien spin offs over the years. In fact I might go as far as to say better than all of the spin offs, but maybe that would be going a little too far having not seen it yet. A little too far...

Theres also a new trailer too but its full of extreme spoilers and theres not long to go now. suggest you avoid it!

love

Freya

I think it looks a million times better than most of the Alien spin offs over the years. In fact I might go as far as to say better than all of the spin offs, but maybe that would be going a little too far having not seen it yet. A little too far...

hmph! Are you knocking Alien vs Predator?? haha

hmph! Are you knocking Alien vs Predator?? haha

;) Perish the thought, I mean of all the sequals etc, that one is definitely my next vote after Alien. What an all time classic. Even Riddley doesn't have a bad word to say about that work of art!

You know I actually have the 2 disc "extreme edition" of that film! You've made me decide to check out whats on the second disc now. :)

Edited by Freya Black

;) Perish the thought, I mean of all the sequals etc, that one is definitely my next vote after Alien. What an all time classic. Even Riddley doesn't have a bad word to say about that work of art!

You know I actually have the 2 disc "extreme edition" of that film! You've made me decide to check out whats on the second disc now. :)

That just about said it all about Scott's view of AVP.

I am deliberately trying to avoid watching any more trailers for Prometheus. I want the surprise.