AE: Faking 2000 fps

Canon 7D at 2000 fps

I know this was done with Twixtor, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried something similar with either After Effects built in frame blending or some other "free" solution.

For those unfamiliar, it's a 7D shooting 60 fps time remapped to about 2000fps using Twixtor's frame blending to smooth it out. It looks like something shot on a phantom flex, but about $90,000 cheaper camera.

That's a really interesting clip, from what I can tell the layer of rain in the foreground (on the shots where everything slows right down)seems to have been generated elsewhere and composited on top.

It looks really nice and seamless and provides a simple work-around for something that Twixtor normally has problems with.

Back on topic; Twixtor seems to give me considerably better results than After Effects built in frame blending. The later seems to take an awful lot of tweaking to get passable results where as Twixtor is pretty simple to use and dose a fairly decent job (as long your being realistic about what you can achieve with it)

• Premium Member

Optical flow interpolation works very well on certain subjects. It certainly wouldn't have worked well on the raindrops; they are composited (and there's far more rain in the slow stuff than there was in the normal stuff!)

This is just the built in AE, and works pretty well, but then it's a very easy subject:

http://vimeo.com/8574526