DIY Video Assist for ACL

Jason Hinkle RIP

Gregg, you've caught me talking without thinking again. I'm now seeing it's a Frezzolini. Unfortunately I don't have the URL to those pages, it's just stuff from old folders I was going through. I had another one by the same author. Let me look...

I swear, if it weren't for you I'd go through this hobby believing all sorts of inaccuracies.

post-10433-0-42556300-1511479338_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPGBDVqAQ3A/?taken-by=lastlightmovie

Thisis the best idea I have seen so far.

Will take my camera to home depot and test nuts and bolts that might work with my microscope camera.

C

Did he reply to you how he made it? Interesting. I have a BMPCC, this would actually give me a reason to use it.

I mean it is pretty straight forward. He mounted a BMPCC to the viewfinder, and then used the HDMI to get the feed out.

C

Well after I saw that I remembered I have a Fujian 25mm lens in C-mount that has a 29mm thread and I started wondering. Wouldn't you know it. It fits straight onto the viewfinder port of the NPR. However I would need a different lens because that one can't focus on the ground glass, it's too close. But at least I now have the beginning of an idea.

Edited by Samuel Berger

• 2 years later...
On 12/5/2017 at 10:35 PM, Carl Nenzen Loven said:

I mean it is pretty straight forward. He mounted a BMPCC to the viewfinder, and then used the HDMI to get the feed out.

C

Details can be found here, at the end of the linked post:

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/7/2020 at 7:12 PM, marco hara said:

how would it be possible to build a video tap for the ACL in which both a viewfinder and a camera could be used simultaneously? with a prism?

That's how AZ Spectrum does it. If you look at these photos https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/eclair-acl-azspectrum-w-video-assist-440415649 and compare them with the ones on the AZ Spectrum home page (http://www.az-spectrum.com/acl_vid.html) you'll notice that the viewfinder tube/threads on the camera side has been removed so that the video assist sits right next to the camera body. The tube with the threads has been moved to the side of the video assist. It is not visible in the worthpoint photos, as the owner has most likely put it back to the camera.

The video assist then has in it the prism and the small (CCTV/industrial) imager that films the ground glass through the prism. One stop of brightness is lost due to the prism. There might be some other optical element as well to keep the optical distance from the viewfinder to the ground glass same.

Edited by Heikki Repo