ORWO 54 as Reversal Sample

• Site Sponsor

HI

I shot a few rolls of Orwo-54 with my Filmo yesterday and we developed one in the Reversal machine today:

More tests to come we are going to run a roll of 16mm 54 and a roll of 35mm 54 in the negative machine Monday.

-Rob-

• Premium Member

More tests to come we are going to run a roll of 16mm 54 and a roll of 35mm 54 in the negative machine Monday.

Interesting, I have been trying ti use it as a still film, and the film came out of the tank with an almost frosted appearance. Also it seemed to develop much more (High Contrast) with the times I use in still Developer for 5222. Curious if the negatives in standard MP process "look" normal.

• Site Sponsor

I think it came out pretty well in the Reversal developer and it ran through with a batch of Tri-X fine.

AS for negative development we think it calls for a lower energy developer and we are going to do some experiments with temp on that.

-Rob-

• Site Sponsor

I would love to see a 35mm negative HD transfer of this stock.

I shot 100' of the 54 in my 2C the other day and I think we are going to develop it on Monday. It looks really nice and handles hilites really well, I didn't follow the "Sunny-16" rule totally when I shot that and the Angie was set to F11 and overcranked a bit so I think I was about 1.5 stops over.

-Rob-

• Premium Member

I didn't follow the "Sunny-16" rule totally when I shot that and the Angie was set to F11 and overcranked a bit so I think I was about 1.5 stops over.

Useful data point, I have a roll of UN54in my FIlmo which I was planning to try when I get a good idea for a subject, Your sample looked a "touch" over exposed in a couple of spots and I was wondering if I should start out at ASA125, BUT if you did overexpose it a bit I will have to try at 100. I am also thinking that I might just ask for reversal when I send the test to the nice folks in Toronto.

BTW, A 100ft roll on a core, JUST Fits a Filmo on a core adaptor. I loaded with a spool for take up.

• Site Sponsor

Some of that first test shoot was definitely overexposed 1-2 stops and it was not a scientific test but just load a roll and walk / drive around. I am pretty impressed at how the 54 stock holds highlights in the sky and the smoothness of the stock. I metered quickly and set the meter to 80asa and the lens to f11 and I shot 24-48 fps. I shoot another 100' roll partially indoors and outdoors and I am planning to run it as negative this week along with the roll of 35mm which was shot in my 2C both outdoors and indoors.

-Rob-

• Site Sponsor

Also I would say that running UN54 as Reversal is totally straight forwards from a lab POV I intentionally had Bill put the Orwo stock in with the rest of the Tri-X we were running that day and the test came out fine. From the reading we have done it seems like it is a bit trickier to run as negative and may require the lab to setup time and temp specifically for orwo.

-Rob-

• Premium Member

yes, my still tests of the N74 so far have been giving printable negs at 6 minutes 20C in HC-100 Dilution B, which is the same as is recommended for 5222. The UN54 came out very "Thick" looking at that setting. and I have still not found the right settings after a couple of other trial rolls. Sounds like the UN54 really is primarily a reversal material.

I just was wondering about using UN54 as reversal... I've been told the base is not that transparent, so it's not that suitable as a reversal stock when inteded for projection. Or did I get this wrong?

Asking because I have bought a roll of UN54 and I'm yet undecisive whether to better use it as neg or reversal.

Greetings,

Marc

• Premium Member

I have a roll of n74 that I will be shooting to test development as negative this week, and we can spool onto either core or projection reel upon request.

-Rob-

The N74 is only listed as intended as a negative, so it would look rather funky projected. Perhaps you were wanting it printed onto positive stock?