lens education

albert camus

Can anyone tell me where I can find information on lenses. I'm new to cinematography so I need anything from beginner's info to very detailed info for advanced DP's. I'm looking mostly for websites, but magazines and books as well.

Thank You

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can you be new to cinematography

And call yourself a Director of Photography? :huh:

Anyways you should search the internet for photography sites

This is the best place to learn about lenses

At least the most basic stuff...

You should start with the basic and then move on up.

Also read some books

Check the list of recommended books on this site

There should be some helpful books.

Anyways GOOD LUCK

• Premium Member

Yeah, I have to agree with Rik. I make my living as a DP, so I list myself as such. Since you are starting out, I suggest you list yourself as "student", or something.

I do not imply that I know it all. One can never know it all, so I am always learning. I hang here, so that I may gather and impart knowledge.

As Rik said, do your research on the web. Go to the recommended books section and first time filmmakers section here, other websites and see what books, etc. are suggested. Go to your library, go to rental houses, go to ebay. Find out who the manufacturers are and visit their websites. Do your "due dilligence" and look around. Google is a wonderful tool. Play with your 35mm camera.

Not knowing is the perfect place from which to start. Be a sponge.

Can anyone tell me where I can find information on lenses.

Here's one of many many sites that can be found in about 5 seconds with a decent search engine. It's a start.

http://www.scphoto.com/html/lens.html

I presume that while you are not a Director of Photography as you so grandly presume, neither are you the existentialist writer and philosopher Albert Camus who died 40 years ago.

Albert,

What format do you shoot? The lens scale is different for 16mm, 35mm, anamorphic, 2/3" CCD and 1" CCD. Knowing how one format relates to the other is very important. A bit more information about what you generally shoot will get you more accurate and specific responses. i.e. A 12mm lens is 5 totally different lenses across those different formats

There are very good sections on lenses in the following books:

Cinematography by Blain Brown - focal press

Cinematography by Kris Malkawitz

The ASC cinematographer's handbook-

Don't be in a hurry to take a directors dream into your responsibility unless you're ready to deliver that vision as requested. It's a big responsibility encompassing someone's money and many people's involvement. I urge you to take it very seriously. You're in the right place to get questions answered.

I hope I haven't spoken out of place. It is with the best of intentions and for the greater good that I offer the advise. Best of luck.

I must say that I have to agree with Rik and Leon.

It takes years and years in order to be able to consider oneself a DP. It entails so much more than just knowing how to work a camera and put some lights up that I wince here.

Please don't call yourself a DP until the time is right.

Lots of embarassment will be avoided by all.

There is nothing wrong with being a student. We all began somewhere.

There's no need to be mean.

This should be a forum for FRIENDLY discussion not the Royal Rumble.

If I really were mean I wouldnt have taken the time to visit those websites, copy the links, paste them here and post. I do agree with you however and I wouldnt want to impinge on the pleasant atmosphere in the forums. That joke was just too obvious to pass up.

• Premium Member
I must say that I have to agree with Rik and Leon.

It takes years and years in order to be able to consider oneself a DP. It entails so much more than just knowing how to work a camera and put some lights up that I wince here.

Please don't call yourself a DP until the time is right.

Lots of embarassment will be avoided by all.

There is nothing wrong with being a student. We all began somewhere.

Is it because Dan is french too, but I feel exactly the same. The subject was actually discussed somewhere else in these forums, and I thought that american people were more like affording to call themeselves dp since they have been cinematographer on one shoot...

I'm not so sure that making a living is the best creteria actually, since some very goodcinematographers know period when they can hardly live on it...

Anyway, I'm sure there is no doubt you are the french writer, Albert, but if ever you are french, we can give you book titles in french !

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith
How can you be new to cinematography

And call yourself a Director of Photography?

Listing that job title shows people that that is the field they are into. If I were to put student, people might think I'm a director or something.

Unfortunately, being able to practice making films can come very expensive. I would recommend buying a MiniDV camera to practice and learn with, although there are so many things about it, many major things, that you just can't learn from.

For instance learning cinematography on a cheap MiniDV camcorder is pretty much useless because the CCD size is too small and you will get too much depth of field. And you can't practice blurring the background e.t.c.

If I were you, I?d buy a second hand 35mm SLR (stills camera) with full manual controls. Ok the depth of field characteristics won't be the same, being that 35mm stills is 8 perf as opposed to 35mm motion picture which is 4 perf, but it really is the closest and cheapest way to learn.

I have always recommended that people learn photography first before cinematography.

Photography books I recommend:

John Hedgecoe's Introductory Photography Course

John Garret and Julian Calder's "The 35mm Photographers Handbook"

Those are the two main books I learnt from.

Listing that job title shows people that that is the field they are into. If I were to put student, people might think I'm a director or something.

I think you can distinguish between a set of skills or interests, and a particular position.

To me, Director of Photography is the head of the camera team on a particular production. Cinematography is the "field that they are into".

If everyone who works (or wants to work) in the field of cinematography calls themselves a DoP, it's a bit like every politician calling themselves Prime Minister (or President). Or everyone who boils an egg calling themselves a chef.

If you want to specify your field, why not put "cinematographer".

Personally, I left that field blank. You can work out who or what I am if you have a mind to. Please tell me what you decide, I've often wondered B)

Personally, I left that field blank. You can work out who or what I am if you have a mind to.  Please tell me what you decide, I've often wondered    B)

Hmm... From a wild guess (and I really do mean wild), Director. Possibly DP, not sure.

If you want to specify your field, why not put "cinematographer".

I don't think that option exists. I've only recently changed my job position to Director of Photography because I am now officially one. Although I am still trying to build up my CV and experience, and knowledge. (But then again, isn't everyone?!)

The greatest joy I have had out of cinematography so far is seeing the finished result, i.e. edited and stuck on DVD. I just love watching it all put together.

Although the worst thing I have found is that some of the cast and crew can be total w**k**s. For instance when shooting the first episode of this project I'm doing, the boom operator was so dam- rude. She was like "Hold this", "hold that" e.t.c. No please or anything. I never said anything, purely because I know some people can be like that, and just to make life easy I'll put up with it. I mean if I started having a go at her there would have been some grudge against each other throughout the rest of the project, and we just wouldn't get along as smoothly. Sometimes it's just easier to take the crap.

Although I'm feeling a lot better now because the producer finally fired her, purely because her work wasn't up to standard. ( :P )

Although there are still butt holes I'm working with. (i.e. the producer, and I just hope to god he or the ex-boom op doesn?t visit this board)

I was speaking with John Simmons ASC a couple of weeks ago, and asked him the same question.

I told him I wasn't sure when I've earned the title DP.

He thought about it and thought about himself. And said "when did I become a DP, was it when I started shooting, or when I earned my first check, or when I got into the ASC. I'm not sure."

We both came to the conclusion that when filmmaking is a major source of your income and people were willing to hire you in the DP position it was safe to call yourself a DP.

What I am sure of is just because you own a mini DV camera does not make you a DP.

All being a DP is, is being in charge of the camera and operating it. Nothing more nothing less.

If that's what you do when you make films, then you're a Director of Photography.

• Premium Member

I consider a dp should be in the position of doing whatever the director asks him, or explain why he wouldn't, respecting the schedule and the esthetic wills. It may be easy in 80 % of the cases for some people. It has to be 100 % for you can declare yourself a dp... "no more or less". And it is not that easy...

I consider a dp should be in the position of doing whatever the director asks him, or explain why he wouldn't, respecting the schedule and the esthetic wills.

That's more the quality of a DP. Just because you do whatever the director tells you or whatever doesn't make you a DP. Getting out and using the camera does.

Just say I am a DP that can only do unpaid work? What am I supposed to call myself? A half dp?

A DOP is someone that controls the camera on shoots. Anyone going to dis-agree with me on that one?

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

• Premium Member
All being a DP is, is being in charge of the camera and operating it. Nothing more nothing less.

If that's what you do when you make films, then you're a Director of Photography.

ManyDP's don't operate the camera! They have an operator for that. They used to be called Lighting Cameraman in the U.K. The DP designs the lighting/look and directs the electricians and camera crew.

Stephen Williams DoP

Zurich

www.stephenw.com

A DOP is someone that controls the camera on shoots. Anyone going to dis-agree with me on that one?

Yes. Like the person above me said, camera operators are the ones behind the camera most of the time. The assistant camera should be taking care of the cameras like cleaning/checking the gates, changing lenses, pulling focus etc. Therefor 1st AC has just as much control over the camera as the camera operator.

DP - Director of Photography is exactly that. He directs the lighting and visual style of the project. He controls where the lights go and when he wants a certain light in a certain area, he will tell the gaffer. Lots of DPs do get behind the camera but on professional shoots, not really. Especially when there are more than 1 camera rolling. If the budget is tight and there's no money to hire a camera operator then yes the DP will get behind the camera or even the 1st AC. In the end it's really all up to the DP if he wants to be behind the camera or not. If he is confident about his lighting and his camera operator on framing and moving the camera well, then there's no need for him to be working the camera.

If you were to catagorize a DP as "someone that controls the camera on shoots" then the camera operator and 1st AC should call themselves a DP.

then the camera operator and 1st AC should call themselves a DP.

No, because if it is a shoot with a camera operator or 1st AC there must be a DP somewhere.

If there is only one camera person on set, operating the camera, then he is the DP.

There is a difference between controlling the camera and operating it.

you missed the sarcasm train, maybe you can catch the next one when it arrives.

What are you talking about, you missed the whole bloody point! Sorry but you missed the reality train, it's understandable, maybe it doesn't stop by you very often.