Your First Camera

Tim Tyler

How old were you when you started photography, and what was your first camera?

110.jpg

I was about twelve when I got a 110 format Vivitar from the drug store in RI. It was plastic and probably cost about $20. I carried that camera everywhere for in a couple of years and eventually upgraded to a Pentax K-1000 to take sports photos for the high school newspaper. I started using my father's Bolex Super-8 camera at about the same time to shoot short films.

I'll give this a go.

When I was a little kid (less than 10), I used a hand-me-down pink Minnie Mouse 110 camera that used to be my sister's. It had no flash or anything. I remember being fascinated when I found out that there was bigger film (35mm) and I wondered if there was infinite detail in the negative. The K-100, coincidentally, was my latest still camera purchase. Then my first motion picture camera was a Braun Nizo XL Super 8.

• Upvote 1

Olympus stylus was my first camera. I bought it while on a children's theatre tour (as an actor) going around our beautiful country, decided to capture what I was seeing on the road. never stopped shooting. About a year ago I bought another stylus, the one with the "large apeture" ƒ2.8. I love the contrast that the lens creates. Still use it today a lot. first motion picture cam was a Yashica Super 40 E, still have and use that along with about ten other motion picture cameras.

AH, My old Kodak Super 8mm M8 Instamatic! When I was a kid, it belonged to my Dad BUT I got to shoot it on occasion. He later gave the whole shebang! He had all the amateur equipment to edit with it along with a Kodak projector and a silver movie screen ALL of which, I still have. I also have the home movies he shot (and some I shot). At some point, I need to transfer it to digital. My first video camera was an huge VHS beast that had a surprisingly large amount of controls. I gave it to a teenage film student when I got a digital camera do he could work on framing and editing, paying it forward so to speak. My first REAL camera was my wonderful little Konvas KSR-1 which I got as a Christmas present from my family. It was (and still is) almost totally complete with everything but a couple of the tools. The only thing I needed was the VERY rare spring drive which I was able to get a few years later when one of the members here made a VERY generous deal with me for a lens I had.I have bout the original matte box kit for it along with other accessories including a 300mm OCT-18 mount lens. I continue to look for accessories whenever I can find and afford them! I don't think I'll ever get rid of these unless it's to my nieces or nephews or my own children if that ever happens and they're interested.

Guest Christopher Sheneman

Panavision Panaflax Millennium PFX-M. I rocked it hard for a few year but got bored with it once the mastery took hold. I've since moved into 16mm because I need limitations.

• Premium Member

My first still camera was inside a "Man From Uncle" Toy atache case! Coolest thing ever, it used 35mm film and was operated by a button on top of the case. Maybe I should have been a spy!

Might have earned a bit more:-) I later got a Nikkon FM and a Braun Super8.

• Premium Member

I had this tiny little kodak point and shoot camera. And I never actually learned how to use it; but I used to play 'round with it when I was a kid. Then, when I was in AIT in the army, I picked up a Nikon FM10 and just went nuts for a long while. Right now, next to me in my hotel room, is a lovely Nikon FM I found in the trash.

il_570xN.402220920_ni63.jpg

I don't still own it, but I figured I'd find it if I searched for "cheap kodak 35mm camera 80s". Found it! LOL

Kodak 100 EF

First still camera.

First movie camera, Kodak XL320 - Super 8

kodak_xl320.jpg

http://www.super8data.com/database/cameras_list/cameras_kodak/kodak_xl320.htm

So glad I had it, but boy did it suck. I've tried it recently... still sucked. :) Back to 1014 XL-S :)

Guest Glenn Brady

I bought my first motion picture camera - a Beaulieu 4008 ZM - when I was about twenty-one. A few years later, when I went on an overseas assignment, I got my first stills camera, a Konica C35. It's been all downhill from there!