Lenses For Super 16

I recently purchased a used Ikonoskop SP16 camera and was wondering what lenses to look into? I have read various things about vignetting and was looking for a little more info. Also if I purchased a c mount to ef mount adapter would it be possible to use newer cannon lenses or would that cause a problem. Thanks.

Canon EOS mount lenses shouldn't vignette in Super-16, but most of them do not have physical aperture controls. It's done electronically, and the adapters do not have circuitry to control them. I have had good luck with M42-C mount adapters and older pentax lenses, in the past. You can stack an M42-EOS adapter (typically around $15) if you wish.

There is a significant croping factor when using a 35mm still lens (2.97:1 maybe?). I don't believe the SP16 is a reflex camera, so it might be a harder way to go.

• Premium Member

Since that camera isn't reflex, using better lenses might be compromised by poor focus. You might want to look into some reflexed c-mount zoom lenses so you can get critical focus. Otherwise you're measuring distance constantly and it's a pain.

• 2 weeks later...

Any Arri 35mm PL mount lens will cover U16. Most longer S16 lenses will too. As long as you stay away from wide lenses most R16 lenses will also. A U16 frame is actually less area than a S16 frame.

So Arri makes lenses that cover U16mm?

I thought all S16 lenses would cover the U16 frame. Is that not true? I have no practical experience with it, just the memory of comparing frame sizes some time ago.

The Ultra 16 primes. The've just grabbed that word, cool sounding, the ultimate lens kind of thing, no relation whatsoever to U16 format. In another thread about coverage / image circle I think it comes up that the Ultra16 primes do have a smaller image cirdle than the Zeiss 16mm (S16) super speeds.

• Premium Member

I thought all S16 lenses would cover the U16 frame. Is that not true? I have no practical experience with it, just the memory of comparing frame sizes some time ago.

Any lens that covers S16 would cover U16 yes, since U16 is smaller than S16.

The Ikonoskop is a little strange because it's a c-mount and it's a tossup on c-mount lens coverage of S16; you'd have to simply test to make sure. There are plenty of inexpensive c-mount to Nikon adapters and and Nikon still camera lens should easily cover anything S16.

I recently purchased a used Ikonoskop SP16 camera and was wondering what lenses to look into? I have read various things about vignetting and was looking for a little more info. Also if I purchased a c mount to ef mount adapter would it be possible to use newer cannon lenses or would that cause a problem. Thanks.

You should check out Samyang/Rokinon lenses, I really like the 35mm and the 85mm Cine version, they're cheap and fully Manuel lenses for EOS mount and in the future you could use them for other cameras in the digital world.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/887052-REG/Samyang_sycv35_c_35mm_T1_5_Cine_Lens.html

• Premium Member

Agreed, Will. But there are also plenty of Lomo lenses in PL for a fair-ish price. Granted, having used Lomos a few times they are often more trouble than they're worth (-v- a rental).

I wonder if even ever possible to retrofit the Rokinons to PL.

True... I mean I own a Rokinon 35mm lens. It is pretty sharp, in fact, some people compare those to Canon's and Zeiss glass in terms of sharpness. But I checked out the 24mm lens, and it only has markings up to something like 6ft. That's not nearly enough to pull focus on

True... I mean I own a Rokinon 35mm lens. It is pretty sharp, in fact, some people compare those to Canon's and Zeiss glass in terms of sharpness. But I checked out the 24mm lens, and it only has markings up to something like 6ft. That's not nearly enough to pull focus on

it does compare to Canon and Ziess in sharpness, especially the 35mm and 85mm.

about the focus marking, in the past 3-4 years so many indie films and even some big budget stuff were shot on Canon still glass that are much more problematic to pull focus on than the Samyang. I mean it's not the best solution, but it is an option :-) I think for the price, and if you are after primes, the Samyang for the moment are the best bang for the buck.

• Premium Member

for the moment are the best bang for the buck.

It would be nice to have a passible PL set for times I just need to pickup and go then rent proper glass when time and budget allows. That's what seems to be missing; something like standard Nikon or Canon primes in a PL mount for just under $1000 each. If a Nikon 50mm 1.4 is $225 new, then why couldn't a PL housing be made for less than $800? I always thought the glass was the expensive part. Not saying that it would beat a Master Prime, just saying it would be as good or better than many vintage sets.