Film Vs Digital.

Matthew Kerins

Hi! I'm doing my dissertation on film vs digital. I've done my research and would love to hear people's opinions. If anybody knows any industry professionals that would like to help me out that would be great. Just to simply offer their opinion on the matter. My question is just Film vs digital, the advantages and disadvantages of each one, which is superior? and why? What do you prefer? and why?

Thanks alot in advance.

:)

Cheers

Matt

"Side by Side"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2014338/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Keanu Reeves also wrote a nice companion article for The Guardian about the topic.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/feb/14/keanu-reeves-future-of-cinema

Just a side note: I wrote a similar paper for an English class once, and ended up having too much to write about. You may want to clarify what part of the pipeline you are writing on for digital vs. film - Production, DI, Distribution...

As part of your research, I would suggest trying to shoot a few frames of film and a few frames of video (well more than a few), both static and moving shots, maybe vary frame rates and see how things expose and move both projected on a large screen and on a monitor. Play with filters on the lens and diffusion on the lights, etc, etc. And go through the post process as well.

This would not be a small undertaking if you did it right.

Best

Tim

How is that sterile look, poor color rendition, and shabby dynamic range of your "present" medium working out for you?

Lol, funny :) Never saw any dynamic range presets on my Red Scarlet or Blackmagic.

Edited by Vadim Joy

I guess your reading comprehension is up there with your ideas. I said "present" not "preset." I was referencing how you said digital is the "present" medium.

My mistake, sorry. I agree film will be around for long time, but the point is that digital is getting closer and closer to replacing film. All those new movies are shot on digital for a reason. And the reason is that when you sit in that dark room eating your popcorn watching next epic masterpiece you won't notice any difference at all.

I hate to post on such topics the fact is some people will never see the validity in other opinions I have been hearing that video has been 'getting closer and closer to replacing film for decades now', it's interesting that film is still here and is still a valid choice.

Pav

Edited by Pav Deep

• Premium Member

I hate to post on such topics the fact is some people will never see the validity in other opinions I have been hearing that video has been 'getting closer and closer to replacing film for decades now', it's interesting that film is still here and is still a valid choice.

Pav

I try not to diss digital these days as long as those who choose digital are equally respectful of my choice. I actually am quite interested in Black Magic and what they are doing. I have even considered them since they have an awesome industry standard color grading suite to go along with their cameras.

But it is hard to give any validity to people who have a reduser fanboy type of attitude toward film. If you cannot respect film and what it has meant to the industry and the history of motion pictures then you are not to be taken seriously.

• Premium Member

It always will be here. But less and less people will be using it. Digital cinematography is the future. Why don't people light the scene with open fire on the set?

But your comparison is false. In most cases of things being deprecated, it is due to being obsolete by means of something else having superior quality and functionality. In this case, film is being deprecated because people are cheap, lazy, and impatient. I don't know how you can't make the connection in your mind.

• Premium Member

Cheap doesn't always mean bad.

Of course not. But why do you feel the need to disparage film as outdated or like a "vintage car?" Why insult something that has stood the test of time and has a catalog of works to its credit that are not likely to be surpassed any time in our lifetime. Do you really think digital is approaching the level to look better than Gone with the Wind, Ben Hur, Ten Commandments, Lawrence of Arabia...even Sound of Music? I don't know if we will ever get anything that looks like that again, TBH.

Well, some people just want to be part of future, to move on and to keep developing this industry. Some don't.

Ahh, progress for progress's sake. If associating yourself with these noble people of the future makes you feel sophisticated, more power to you, but I'd rather not have my medium of choice driven to extinction by a different medium (and yes they are different). Imagine painting materials going out of style simply because we've been able to photograph since the 1830's. Proponents of digital cameras often cite artistic freedom as one of their greatest aspects, even while it snuffs out the artistic freedom of other artists. Maybe that last sentence was melodramatic, but it gets my point across.

• Upvote 1

Of course not. But why do you feel the need to disparage film as outdated or like a "vintage car?"

Obviously the vintage car remark was intended to dismiss film, but it was a lame attempt at dissing. I doubt anyone would dismiss a 1969 Mustang.

Edited by Dan Dorland
  • Upvote 1