Congrats to Forum Member David Mullen, DP for CBS Series "Extant"!

Karl Lee

So I was watching the premiere of Extant on CBS tonight, and during the opening credits I recognized the name of the DP as our own forum member David Mullen! David posts frequently here and I've learned quite a bit from many of his messages, so if you're reading this, David, congrats on a job well done and a great series premiere. Looking forward to next week's show!

• Premium Member

Extant premieres on Australian free-to-air TV this sunday. I've cancelled all appointments and reserved best spot on the couch!

I'll just set my PVR :rolleyes:, otherwise I'm bound to forget.

Under the truly bizarre broadcasting setup we have here at the moment, it will be transmitted in glorious 720 x 576i on Network 10 for the first run, and if there any re-runs they will probably be shown in 1440 x 1080i on "One", which is the 10 network's HD channel.

If you want Full HD here, you have to wait for the Blu-Ray...

Am I the only person on this forum in Australia who saw "The Smell of Success"? (formerly known as "Manure"). I mean actually rented the DVD, not an illegal download.

• Premium Member

Hey Dom, your kids must still be young. They actually wanna watch TV with you.

Actually they're too young to watch some scary sci-fi show, I was using creative licence about the couch reservation. When we do watch something together, it's Peppa Pig and they sit about 3 feet away, so the couch is pretty much mine.

• Premium Member

Just caught Ep 2. It's looking great David, I'm really digging the warm low-con look you're creating. I'll bet you had fun with the science fiction material, saw a bit of Blade Runner, 2001, and Zodiac influences.

What was your approach to lighting the warm night interiors in Halle Berry's house set? Are you trying any of the new Tiffen diffusion filters?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I didn't shoot Episodes 4 & 5 (4 just aired Wednesday) because of a family emergency causing me to leave the production for 3 weeks.

I used 1/8 Schneider Black Frost for wides and mediums and a 1/8 Schneider Hollywood Black Magic for the close-ups (that filter is really just a combo of the 1/8 Black Frost + 1/8 HD Classic Soft).

The warmth was mainly controlled by the color temp setting on the Alexa -- I often shot at a 3700K or 4000K setting in 3200K lighting in the house.

• Upvote 1