Drone Operator

tony powell

In the UK you need a license for paid work. There is a fair amount of information on the CAA web site http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?CATID=1995

There are courses for the exams and tests involved in qualifying to operate drones for commerical film making..

It's all at a much more advanced stage than currently in the USA,.

• Premium Member

The problem right now, as I understand it, is that the UK rules represent the worst of both worlds: they're very expensive for people who do it professionally, without actually offering any enhancement to safety because people doing it for fun aren't required to follow them.

If an aircraft collides with a drone, physics does not care whether the person flying the drone was being paid or not.

P

I suspect many of the current problems (often seen online) are caused by users who are neither professional users or come from the traditional model flying communality. The difference being that professionals are probably in a position where they are more likely to consistently operating in risky situations, such as being close to people. I guess the main advantages are that anyone employing such an operator will know that they meet a minimum standard and it'll keep the insurances companies happy.

It's worth noting that drone operations take place across a range of industries, so such operators don't need to be only involved in film & TV productions.

An example of a training provider: Given the length of the courses, I would assume that you'd be talking about costs similar to attending a camera workshop involving equipment at the NFTS, although I'd expect you'd need to do quite a bit of practice flying before attending..The only price I've come across is £1,600 inc VAT although costs might vary depending on the size of the drone and the school.

Other sites: http://uas.resourcegroup.co.uk/

Edited by Brian Drysdale