Showing scene with drugs

David Edward Keen

Hello wizards

I'm making a music video for a band, it's silly and funny, about Satan stealing the weed. One scene where the weed in the bag is passed one guy to another in a deal.

Is there any reason to be worried legally about using real weed? Should it be oregano?

I mean we've all seen Goddfellas with pounds of "cocaine" all over everyone's faces...

i just dont want to get anyone in trouble so it's best to consult instead of just supposing.

cheers!

Is there any reason to be worried legally about using real weed?

Er, the reason to be worried is that you're breaking the law. In this country, the offence of supply would probably apply to the producer and simple possession to the actor.

Of course whoever acquired the drugs would already have committed the offence of possession.

Just to tidy things up, there'd probably be a charge of conspiracy as well.

'Goodfellas' had lawyers. It wasn't cocaine.

Best use fake drugs, eh?

Edited by Mark Dunn

It's a good project fir learning craft but I'd like to avoid getting into trouble. I'm a beginner and I'm seeing a lot of these types of issues, especially in everyday safety on set. Is there a good resource on general safety on set inline or a manual with checklists maybe?

I need to give the whole safety subject sit down and study time

• Premium Member

... and we are neither lawyers nor a production with a budget over 20 bucks so it's green yellow LED s !

I find it interesting that the project has no budget but is somehow able to afford real marijuana. Seems like the priorities need to be reworked.

Just use oregano.

• Upvote 1

Haha someone made the suggestion that's all...nobody would use anything other than coffee on anything I'm doing. Don't get the wrong idea. Admittedly it was the kinda question I probably didn't even hafta ask had I thought a bit more... Now I'm embarrassed, OK. Not the first dumb question ever been put to me or been put to someone else by me

• Premium Member

Now I'm embarrassed, OK. Not the first dumb question ever been put to me or been put to someone else by me

No need to be embarrassed and it is by no means a "dumb question." We're happy to point you in the right direction, especially when it results in keeping you out of trouble.

Haha someone made the suggestion that's all...nobody would use anything other than coffee on anything I'm doing. Don't get the wrong idea. Admittedly it was the kinda question I probably didn't even hafta ask had I thought a bit more... Now I'm embarrassed, OK. Not the first dumb question ever been put to me or been put to someone else by me

In the US the only states that now allow possession of Marijuana for 'general use' are Washington and Colorado. There are a number of states that have permited 'medical' Marijuana use, and that requires a doctors prescription, and only applies to the person who received the prescription.

There is a battle brewing between the Feds, using the Commerce Clause of the Constitution to claim they have the right to continue prosecution of state citizens for possession and sales.

In any case... the use of actual Marijuana would be prohibited in almost all situations.

If you should use some other substance, you need to clearly mark any container as being a 'prop', and do not even in jest 'offer for sale or use as a drug' any substance, outside of the scripted dialog or scene description. Have your film permits in order...

You can be arrested for sales for offering 'fake' drugs...

Actually... consult a lawyer...

That said... alfalfa works for 'marijuana' in a 'baggy' or 'in Kilo packages with transparent wrapping'...

Hello wizards

I'm making a music video for a band, it's silly and funny, about Satan stealing the weed. One scene where the weed in the bag is passed one guy to another in a deal.

Is there any reason to be worried legally about using real weed? Should it be oregano?

I mean we've all seen Goddfellas with pounds of "cocaine" all over everyone's faces...

i just dont want to get anyone in trouble so it's best to consult instead of just supposing.

cheers!

You can always film it in Amsterdam no risk there ?