Sony Vegas drawbacks?

Max Field

I'm gonna come out and say I love using Sony Vegas. I don't aim to exclusively do post-production, and if someone did, I would recommend AVID cause it's what the majority of studios use.

My personal gripe with AVID is navigating the timeline takes an eternity in contrast to Vegas which allows full mobility with the scroll wheel. Someone said you can change that in AVID's settings but I haven't seen that anywhere in the program.

A straight answer to what makes Vegas fall short in comparison to AVID from a workflow angle has never been given to me. The most common answer is "people don't use it" but I want to know how it technically falls short from someone who has legitimate experience with both Vegas and AVID.

One major problem is that it can't be used for collaborative editing as used on large productions. It's also not great at handling long form projects and organising all the material involved.

AVID editors tend to use the keyboard because it's faster than drag and dropping. I own Vegas and it has an extremely confusing set of keyboard short cuts.

Edited by Brian Drysdale

• Premium Member

I mean it's like FCPX vs Avid, they're night and day different. Vegas is the same way, it uses a different way of cutting, which is fine and all, but it's not really what the industry uses. So it's great for messing around, like FCPX is. But it's not great for serious work. I mean, what you use at home on your own time for your own projects, really doesn't matter. A lot of people hate Avid... I actually don't love it, but man does it work! Had Final Cut 7 had more development, it would be my favorite editor. However, they quit developing it right when it was getting good. So Avid and Premiere are where the industry sits right now. I personally haven't bothered with premiere yet because it requires the newest operating system and Avid doesn't like it... so I'm still on Avid for 90% of my work.