Lenses to Cover ARRI S16 SR-II

Bill DiPietra

• Premium Member

Hi everyone. I am again looking at purchasing an ARRI SR-II, this time in the S16 format. I've been searching the archives and obtained some information, but I thought I would just ask outright:

I have the following 16mm lenses:

9mm Cooke Kinetal (Arriflex Standard Mount)

16mm Zeiss Planar (Arriflex Standard Mount)

32mm Zeiss Planar (Arriflex Standard Mount)

50mm Zeiss Planar (Arriflex Bayonet Mount)

So I'm wondering if anyone would be able to tell me if these lenses would cover the S16 gate or if I'd get some vignetting with some or all of them.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Hi Bill,

the Cooke Kinetals unfortunately were designed for the 16S and M cameras which had more mirror clearance than all later Arriflex 16mm cameras, so they can hit the mirror on an SR. You'd need to find another wide angle option.

The others should cover S16, although I'm not actually familiar with the 16mm Planar. Judging from googled pictures it pokes out the back far more than the 16 Distagon, which is the retrofocus design Zeiss used in their high speed S16 series (and the Standard Speed 2/16 for 35mm format was also a Distagon).

I'm guessing the 16mm Planar must have been an earlier (double Gauss) design that was replaced with the retrofocus Distagon after the 16BL came out. So perhaps be careful fitting the 16mm to an SR, in case it protrudes enough to hit the mirror. Try fitting it set to infinity with the mirror out of the way, and then gently inch the mirror around. If the lens protrudes too deep, you'll feel the mirror edge get stopped by the lens.

Hey Bill,

If you are getting an SR maybe you will want some different lenses. Unfortunately the S16 format Zeiss superspeeds have gone up in price. Maybe the BMPC chaps are chasing them. What about a set of CP Ultra T (Kowa). Or Illuminas. Actually Adriane just mentioned he may sell his Illumina set a few days ago.

EDIT: I think ACLs mount the Kinetals OK. Must be that little reciprocating mirror. (just for Tyler's benefit).

Edited by Gregg MacPherson