Just bought Aaton 35-III - did they make anamorphic viewfinder?

Adam Frisch FSF

• Premium Member

Alan Gordon here in LA sold out some old rentals (this one was ex-Panavision) and I picked one up for a song and a dance. I shot with them a bit early in my career and always liked them. Slightly painful to load the mags, but once you got a hold of it it wasn't that bad. Very quiet, very light and nimble little 35mm camera. Perfect for handheld or run and gun shooting. In the kit I got 3x Mags, 4-perf, Color Video assist and the ubiquitous wooden handgrip. Seems to be working fine. Unfortunately didn't come with any batteries, but managed to locate three online. However, I would eventually like to locate a few things:

1. Anamorphic viewfinder? Does anyone know if they made one for the 35-III?

2. Full frame (big TV) groundglass. I know they made this, but does anyone know where I could find one?

3. Aaton Cha-3 charger. It's the one where you can charge the onboard batteries. Anyone know where I could get one?

4. Loop tool. There's a distance tool that makes the loop the correct size - anyone know where one could be found?

• Premium Member

As i said before, congratulations, it is a great camera!

I've never seen an anamorphic viewfinder for the Aaton, probably there are some out there!

Regarding the full frame glass, EPC in Madrid, Spain, had a couple of them back in times (like in 2007!) so you could always ask if they have any left.

Alternatively Cameramarket.eu could have some too.

Epc could have the battery charger too, and I'm pretty sure that they haven't used the Aaton in a while, ha!

Cameramarket

http://cameramarket.eu/index.php

Epc

http://epc.es/

As for the loop tool.. come on! Use your fingers! :-D

I actually liked loading those mags, we made competitions between 2nd acs and loaders :-D.

I forgot to mention that you could always ask Aaton directly although I'm pretty sure that you have done it already.

Have a lovely day!

• Premium Member

Man, I had my eyes on that thing for the last year. Wayne wouldn't budge on the price, he was like $3500, not a dollar less. I kinda was frustrated because I wanted a smaller camera to work with then my Moviecam, but didn't have the money.

:sigh: I guess I know who to call up if I need one! :)

I didn't know it didn't have batteries, that's a real shame. They're kind of a bitch to find because I don't think you can use the XTR batteries. So there were just less of the flatter high capacity batteries around.

The magazines do seem odd to load, but I guess that's par for the course.

There is a great guy here in LA who is renting Arri ST/LT's for $100/day 3 perf and 4 perf. After talking with him for a while, I figured it was just cheaper to rent when I needed since I can't afford the glass anyway. :sad panda:

Well, I'm glad it went to someone who will use it!

• Premium Member

Found three onboard batteries online for $180. Probably need to re-cell them, but that's not too bad. Just need to find a charger for them. A 12v block battery for stationary shoots is easy to find. Might just get an Anton Bauer block - they're kind of industry standard here.

I purchased one of the other Aaton packages from Alan Gordon a month ago. Shot a couple rolls and it works great, checked out the workprints on my Moviolas.

There are ground glasses at Oppenheimer Cameras. I bought a clear glass with no markings from them - He's got a bunch of standard 35mm ground glass as well including an anamorphic one. I also got rods 4" and 2" from them. They still have 6" rods. If you need 4" and 2" Aaton in France have them for around 200 usd.

My main concern is where will we get our cameras serviced if something happens? Ablecine is not doing it anymore, I think we would have to send to Aaton in France, unless there is an independent tech with Aaton 35 experience here in the US. If anyone knows one let us know.

Congratulations on your camera !

Edited by Robino Jones

I think Aaton 35-III isn't just supported anymore. From their website:

"We provide factory level maintenance and support for Aaton Penelope, Xterà and XTR film cameras. We have a large parts inventory on hand in both our NY and LA locations, and our techs can perform all services from scheduled maintenance to camera model upgrades.

We also offer a full range of services for Aaton package accessories including S16 and 35mm lenses."

• Premium Member

Ohh yea so it's just the particular Aaton III that isn't supported. I think it's probably due to parts availability. Well, that's kind of a shame.

I was told that Aaton is on the cusp of closing their doors forever. They moved to a new facility across the street but from what I've been told, aren't supporting any film cameras. Most of the parts are currently coming from VP.

• Premium Member

I purchased one of the other Aaton packages from Alan Gordon a month ago. Shot a couple rolls and it works great, checked out the workprints on my Moviolas.

There are ground glasses at Oppenheimer Cameras. I bought a clear glass with no markings from them - He's got a bunch of standard 35mm ground glass as well including an anamorphic one. I also got rods 4" and 2" from them. They still have 6" rods. If you need 4" and 2" Aaton in France have them for around 200 usd.

My main concern is where will we get our cameras serviced if something happens? Ablecine is not doing it anymore, I think we would have to send to Aaton in France, unless there is an independent tech with Aaton 35 experience here in the US. If anyone knows one let us know.

Congratulations on your camera !

Thanks Robino!

I just emailed Oppenheimer to see if they have anything left they'd like to sell.