ScanDisk or Lexar?

George Ebersole

• Premium Member

I've only ever used Sandisk personally; though sometimes I've had Lexars. I dunno, no problems with either, but I've used the SanDisks substantially more and they're still working fine. But, like anything, they'll eventually fail; have backups, and keep and ear out for data recovery if needed.

• Premium Member

I have had no issues with the SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s line. However I have two PNY cards that are supposedly Class U3 and 95MB/s but my Blackmagic cameras will not record to them in raw. This leads me to believe that PNY was a little optimistic about the capabilities of their cards.

I still use the cards if I have a ProRes job.

• Premium Member

What's the issue with your BM not recording on them?

Every since the first Apples I've leaned towards Verbatim or Maxell for storage, but seems like SanDisk and Lexar have taken the lead in portable storage.

Unknown, they were listed on the officially supported BM card list, but then were removed. They apparently (confirmed! I own two) do not support the sustained write speed.

• Premium Member

I have had good experiences with both Sandisk and Kingston cards. Lexar I have only used in XQD but they worked fine.

In SD I have had slight issues with Transcend cards sometimes, one of them had loose write protection switch (had to tape it in place after couple of weeks of use) and one had some other problem I can't quite remember.

But generally yes, you should be fine with Sandisk if your camera supports it

I've only used Sandisk cards for my digital film capture. In the past I have used Lexar Compact Flash devices, but mostly Sandisk even then.

I have the Blackmagic Pocket camera, and have not had any dropouts in RAW mode on the U3 80-95/mbs type cares (the 80 mbs wasn't 'officially' listed... but worked for me...).