S16 slight shadowing/vignetting no problem?

Jon O'Brien

Hi, if you get your S16 film back from the lab, shot in negative stock, now in digital form ready to be edited etc on a computer, and you see that the image has some very slight shadowing or vignetting in a corner or corners, can you, on a home computer, re-frame/crop/zoom-in-a-bit the image, so that the version 'released' to the public for viewing on the internet or digitally projected has the shadowing or vignetting eliminated? I realise some image quality will be lost, due to an enlargement of the grain. But in filmmaking as in nearly everything compromise appears to be the way of things in the arts.

Thank you for your help. I'm trying to save money, so am seeking to learn as much as I can without making expensive mistakes. I also don't have much time, and have to work out what lenses I need fairly quickly. So, the sooner I can get advice on all this the better. I don't have experience with digital editing, but do with actual film and a splicer.

Edited by Jon O'Brien

• Premium Member

zooming in and reframing is easy in any edit software. but if the darkening is very subtle you can maybe correct it in grading without any need to reframe. widescreen end format also helps because then you will mask the gate corners anyway with the 2.35 / 2.39 / 2.40 mask

• Premium Member

Thank you for your help. I'm trying to save money, so am seeking to learn as much as I can without making expensive mistakes. I also don't have much time, and have to work out what lenses I need fairly quickly. So, the sooner I can get advice on all this the better. I don't have experience with digital editing, but do with actual film and a splicer.

If this were 1990, I'd say yea... just cut it on film, but "digital editing" has been around for 30 years. If you have no experience with it, you've got a pretty steep learning curve ahead of you. If I were you, I'd be shooting stuff with a cheap digital camera and learning how to edit NOW because there is a lot to it. For instance, you can't take the scanned compressed files form the lab and cut them without a decent computer, fast online storage and the right editing software. You can't just download iMovie or Windows Movie maker and expect them to work.

I'm doing just as you describe. I have a small video camera and have started taking some shots and am now figuring out what to do about editing. My video camera has excellent sound recording capabilities, but the lens is extremely basic. Yes, there's a lot to learn about editing but I'm keen.

Edited by Jon O'Brien

Sorry, just to avoid confusion (lest anyone wonder if I'm a klutz), my mention of the lens on my digital camera has nothing to do with this discussion. I'm talking here of Super 16 mm film.

Edited by Jon O'Brien