wide angle recommend for Super 16mm Aaron XTR (nikon mount)

• Premium Member

Hi all, I finally bought an Aaton XTR super 16mm film camera as some of you know.......so now i come to a lens dilemma. The camera brings the Aaton to Nikon F mount adapter so that's the way I'm going....so where i fall short is on achieving a wide angle field of view......I just can't with any of my lenses

There are loads of affordable 'full frame' lenses out there you can stick a gear on at worst but even an 18mm (full frame with the aperture ring like a Zeiss ZF.2) will give me the field of view roughly like a 54mm lens on the Aaton (assuming a 2.97 'crop factor' as a guideline)...

......I can't blow $4000 plus on a cine lens which even then still has a 'crop' factor as are super 35mm....so should I just buy a one off super 16mm specific lens with either Aaton mount or Arri bayonet mount or Nikon mount???

any workarounds or recommendations you can help me with.....

Edited by Stephen Perera

• Premium Member

How wide do you want to go?

thanks for responding....prob around the 24mm to 35mm equivalent field of view of a 35mm film camera

Edited by Stephen Perera

Angenieux 5.7mm is specific to R16 format and looks great. Multiple mounts. I suspect there is a Super 16mm version.

I have this version in Cameflex mount in conjuction with Bolex Bayonet Mount. Beautiful classic 1960's look.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/ANGENIEUX-5-9mm-1-8-Super-Wide-Cine-Lens-For-16mm-/172453187369

• Upvote 1

Visual Products conversion of Angenieux 5.7mm to Super 16 format, ie

http://www.visualproducts.com/storeProductDetail03.asp?productID=1225&Cat=8&Cat2=15&Cat3=16

They have quite a few R16/S16 wide angle lens, ie

http://www.visualproducts.com/store04.asp?ID=16&Cat=8&Cat2=15

Lenses with a focal length between roughly 8mm and 12mm will give you the same field of view.

A Kinoptik 9mm f/1.5 lens is recommended for super-16 if you can locate one and can be found in Aaton and Arri mounts for your camera.

Both Rokinon and Samyang make a 10mm f/2.8 lens in Nikon mount designed for APS-C sensors so it will cover super-16 fine. Price is affordable too.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Also, there are the Russian Optar Illumina T1.3 prime lenses which were popular back in the 2000s as cheap Super Speed alternatives. There was an 8, 9.5, 12, 16, 25, 50mm, all T1.3 and Super 16 coverage. They were available in Arri B and PL mount. Really cheap too, I think around $1500 USD/each, maybe less. They were still for sale new up until a few years ago.

http://cinematechnic.com/super-16mm/optar_illumina_lenses

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is a Cinema Products ( by Kowa ) 9mm fast lens,T1.3 or thereabouts from memory. It remains quite sharp at its widest aperture. It was made for the standard 16mm frame and unless modified it will vignette the corners of the Super16mm film image.

The modification is fairly simple and one that a lens tech could manage easily. They are fairly scarce in the used market. Into the corners of the Super16mm frame the image sharpness suffers a little on the specimen I have.

For curiosity sake, this little clip shows the 9mm,12.5mm, 16mm and 25mm CP Ultra T* lens images in a low light setting on a SI2K camera.

The CP Ultra T* 9mm lens has a little quirk in its focusing system. There seems to be a combined helicoid and cam actuation in which the rate of focus change alters abruptly towards the close end of focus adjustment making smooth focus pulls whilst rolling, difficult and unpredictable.

Edited by Robert Hart