Cold Emails

Hey everyone! Quick question.

I recently moved to LA (trying to pursue either Camera Assisting or DIT work) after doing the equivalent of those jobs in Colorado for about 3 years.

I don't have very many contacts out here so I have been trying to figure out the best way to get connected other than seeking out work in rental houses (which I am pursuing as well). My question is about the appropriateness of cold emailing/cold contacting. I emailed a DIT that I follow on instagram (used the email he had on his website) asking if we could maybe meet up sometime and got the following response:

"First rule, most folks in the camera dept don’t like cold emails. Tends to leave a bad taste. Try a different route or try commercial folks or agency’s as a PA. If your interested in the camera dept then try to setup an appointment at Local 600 to learn what you can. Most my features are out of the country these days so I will be of little help."

After reading back over the email I sent him it did seem like I was asking for a job on the next feature he had.

Is cold contacting people a big thing that you shouldn't do? I do understand most people are not to keen to share their knowledge with some random person, especially out here.

My intention is not to ask for jobs but simply to hear stories and experiences from people who are doing what I am aiming to do. Is their a better way to go about this other than cold emailing? Or do I just need to word things better?

• Premium Member

I am not in the USA so take this with caution, but this is entirely normal in my experience. Most people receive that sort of enquiry anything up to several times a week and it does get very wearing. You may have received a formletter response.

P

I think its fair enough.. depending obviously on the actual wording.. even I get these emails.. and some I have met up with and worked with.. admittedly Im in a very small market..

Some people don't like them, but others might remember when they were in the same situation .. and in the very least just offer some advise .. I don't see the harm TBH.. maybe this guy is just a bit touchy or you should consider different wording in your emails, to not look like you are wanting to work on their next shoot.. but a more general approach ..

It probably will come down the mood of the person who reads it.. if they just lost a long shoot, car broke down and had an argument with their wife .. or if they just finished a long shoot and bought a new Porsche,the suns out and all is good with the world..

Like the traditional snail mail shot, this is a percentage game, these were thought to have a 1 in 100 success rate, although I suspect it may have been lower in reality.

Face to face is generally better for making contacts, so any gatherings, general meeting or product demos would be worthwhile networking opportunities.

• Premium Member

It's all just part of the hustle. I sent a bunch when I was starting out (though primarily I stuck to phone calls where possible).

And I've brought quite a few people who have reached out on to sets with me.

• Premium Member

Guy sounds like he may've been in a mood. Personally, I get a good deal of cold e mails, I try to answer them all, and I generally am happy to get a coffee or a drink when I can. I'd say keep at it, and perhaps phrase things more as a want to learn, or even just a meet new people whose work you respect. Also, always offer and do buy them the drinks.