single perf, double perf 16mm film characteristics

Stephen Perera

• Premium Member

So during the planning of my first 'short' with 16mm Im trying to think of everything that could go wrong....

so.....I've been practising loading double perf 16mm dummy film and am confident to load magazines up for use out in the field....

but.....

it just occurred to me the film I have bought is single perf....I believe all modern Kodak stock is single perf now......so.....does this fact change anything in terms of film loading technique on an AATON magazine.....Tyler....this ones right up your street my friend......

There are consequences when double perf film is broken up onto smaller reels.

It may become inadvertently reversed by not being wound back onto another smaller reel and then run through the camera. The pre-flashed edge numbers may finish up on the wrong wide of the film and and not reproduce onto the workprint.

In today's world of scanning the neg and finishing digitally, it is probably a legacy issue not worth fretting over.

Edited by Robert Hart

• Premium Member

Yea, that came up this weekend when we cut down 1000ft loads onto 400ft cores. Since nobody really uses edge code anymore outside of people cutting negative, it's kinda not worth dealing with rewinding and such. It's a shame, but very few projects have negatives cut.