Is this a light leak?

John Carty

I have just got back my first roll of film shot on a Bolex H16 Rex1, shot on a kodak 50d film stock. I noticed a white band on the right side of the frame( as you look on the screen) and thought to myself this is not a typical light leak, as you look at the far right side you can see the edge is just to dam straight and its from top to bottom, I have attached a pic so you can see what I am referring too. Any ideas or suggestions on this matter would be most appreciated.

Thanks

John

post-72575-0-61497300-1508198144_thumb.jpg

To be honest I don't think I did, I put tape around the gaps where the back cover is I may have missed the filter slot. Does my pic look like I have?

Thanks

Yeah that happened to me on my first roll too, decades ago. I actually kept the film but I never forgot afterwards.

It depends on the state of the filter and the slot. Keeping the slide in should be enough but I would add gaffer tape over that as well just for peace of mind.

Also in Reflex models, make sure you close the viewfinder whenever your eye isn't pressed against the rubber eyecup.

Also, is it necessary with a Bolex to put tape around the film door? I'm assuming not, since no one ever mentions it. The door on my Bolex seems to close well. I'm forever reading about pro filmmakers putting tape around Arri magazines, that's all.

That fogging looks definitely the uncovered slot. The door usually shouldn't need taping, except when you're doing animation as Brian says... sometimes I've had slight fogging of individual frames if there's a tiny leak somewhere, because of the time the film is stationary before or after it encounters the gate. And this could happen at the start or end of an important normal shot. So I generally tape up anyway for peace of mind.

Thanks Doug for your valuable advice. One thing I wasn't clear on, though, in your last two sentences. Are you saying that for normal shooting eg. of live action footage, that you do tape up the door, just in case? I've never bought camera tape. What is the type to get? Excuse my ignorance - I was mainly into Super 8 and such details of film production weren't necessary back then.

Thanks Doug for your valuable advice. One thing I wasn't clear on, though, in your last two sentences. Are you saying that for normal shooting eg. of live action footage, that you do tape up the door, just in case? I've never bought camera tape. What is the type to get? Excuse my ignorance - I was mainly into Super 8 and such details of film production weren't necessary back then.

I use this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GZE3UJ8/ But even electrical tape will work, you just need to keep the light out.

And of course, shut the viewfinder when your eye is not pressed against it.

I'm probably being over-cautious, but yes any black tape will be fine. Also a reminder there's film inside :)

It's just that on one or two occasions I've had some fogging of a frame about half a second into a live action shot, caused by a tiny door leak. For most shots no problem as it could be discarded. But if doing some special effect you might need the footage. If you want to test the door seal, maybe leave the loaded camera for an hour in bright sunlight and see what happens.

Also good I think to tape over the filter-holder if it's that kind on turret cameras. The other one on bayonet cameras is far better design.

Edited by Doug Palmer

Have got to write up a list of remember-it points for first shoot. One is, shut viewfinder off when taking eye away. Have decided I will do a bit of taping here and there on door and filter slide. I think the reminder that film is in there is as good a reason as any, and the pros do it, too.

A short poem:

My tripod quest bore fruit

It is now

Time to shoot