What is a NICE sized room for shooting?

Max Field

Hello all, had another one for any shooters to add their 2 cents.

I thought about building an addition to a cheap house I came across and wanted the addition to be a stellar space for getting shoots done. I know I'd want a 10 foot ceiling to get my speed rails a little higher but what dimensions do you walk into and think "ah space is abundant" depending on whatever sort of project you're doing?

Thanks for any dimensions you can throw at me.

• Premium Member

I think one would like to have at least 4 meters of width for the set you are shooting and then the possibility to add basic frames and lights on both sides of the set. So it would be minimum 4 meters + something like 2.5 meters times two . So it would be 4m + 5m = 9 meters wide at the minimum. To be safe I would like to have at least 10 meters wide and then enough depth to enable camera and track and background separation. Maybe it just being at least 10m to 10m square which would be close to 33 times 33 feet?

If it needs to be smaller then can just make the room rectangular and have a garage door type of solution which enables you to extend the set or the camera tracks outside if needed

• Premium Member

you can also cheap on the width if you make large windows or doors on both sides of the room so that you can have the side lights outside and open/close/blackout the windows or doors needed to make it work for the shoot. So this way you could have the set using almost the entire width of the room if needed and thus the room could be much smaller, maybe something like about 16 - 19ft wide