tripod for aaton XTR

David Roberson

Looking into buying a used tripod for the aaton XTR plus. These things are obviously very pricey so my question is, what is the bare minimum required for the weight load of the camera? I understand there are different circumstances with it being rigged up with a bunch of accessories and monitors vs. a minimal set up. Could you guys recommend some options i can look into? Some lower tier and mid tier tripods that support the camera? I've used an O'connor 2575D fluid head before. Would a manfrotto 546GB work for instance? 

• Premium Member

normally you would want at least double the load rating needed to get a stable enough combination for cine work. I would look for something which has the maximum load rating of about 18 or 20kg (for example the Sachtler Video 18 and 20 heads were common in the past for this type of cameras here on lower budget shoots) . You can surely find something useful for under 2k or 3k  and you can always purchase the head and the tripods separately if getting a good deal 

• Premium Member

it really depends on your budget. If you got $5k to spend, you can go with something like a Sachtler Pro 25, which is what I have. It's super robust, Mitchel mount head, I have some heavy duty sticks. Whole thing weighs more than the camera does, but delivers a wonderful pan and tilt function. 

I ordered this tripod and dolly from B&H.  Plus several empty 5 lbs. sandbags (I filled them myself) for extra stabilization.  I have an early version of an Aaton 7.  Fully loaded, the camera weighs 18.1 lbs.  The gear ran me less than $300.00.  It's everything I need.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1495604-REG/sirui_sh15_75mm_bowl_aluminum_tripod.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/970945-REG/magnus_dwf_2_universal_tripod_dolly.html