Good POV Shot Examples

Jill George

These are great examples, but more specifically I'm looking for POV use that is motivated by something other than suspense. I keep coming up with horror films, but I'm looking for something different. Perhaps for an unusual type of character like a deaf person, an animal, or any situation where POV becomes an integral part of telling the story. Thanks!

• Premium Member
These are great examples, but more specifically I'm looking for POV use that is motivated by something other than suspense. I keep coming up with horror films, but I'm looking for something different. Perhaps for an unusual type of character like a deaf person, an animal, or any situation where POV becomes an integral part of telling the story. Thanks!

I'm not sure why you can't learn anything from the use of POV in Hitchcock's films. Not all the POV shots in "Vertigo" are to generate suspense. Most of the early part of the movie is about Jimmy Stewart following Kim Novak around town.

POV's by nature are psychological more than comedic, since they take you into the subjective world of a character.

Jane Campion often uses odd POV shots, like in "The Piano".

Of course, there's "Being John Malkovich"...

Perfect, I will take a look at those titles. I have recently watched "Rear Window" as well as "Halloween," but I'll definitely check out "Vertigo" again and see if I can get my hands on "Lady in the Lake." Appreciate the suggestions.

There's a 'well known' old Americaan black and white film (which I've never watched completely) where the whole story is seen from the main male character's POV throughout the whole film. We never see him apart from once (or twice) when he stands in front of a mirror and then we see his face. Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me remember what the it's called...any takers?

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

These are great examples, but more specifically I'm looking for POV use that is motivated by something other than suspense.

If you can get hold of it, there's a Dutch film called 'Zusje' (Little Sister) that is told entirely through the 'video journal' of the main character.

Kim Sargenius

cinematographer

sydney

There's a 'well known' old Americaan black and white film (which I've never watched completely) where the whole story is seen from the main male character's POV throughout the whole film. We never see him apart from once (or twice) when he stands in front of a mirror and then we see his face. Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me remember what the it's called...any takers?

That's Lady of the Lake.

• Premium Member

Just watched 'The Final Cut' with Robin Williams. Of course all of the 'clips' of peoples lives are POV shots, but what's interesting is that you find yourself applying that to the characters in the real world, because in that movie anyone could possibly be a camera. (there is a technology in the movie that you can implant a chip in your head and it will record audio & video of your whole life).

I would also say final cut for great use of p.o.v not oly for the shots but as an element of the story. requiem for a dream also has some fantastic p.o.v stuff though the style doesn't drive the whole movie.

samm

Edited by Samm