NBC News Shoots Entire National News Report Using Film / Super-8 in 2022!

Tim Tyler

I once read in an old magazine that the Australian adventurer and entrepreneur Dick Smith used super8 to film one of his expeditions. This could have been the 70s or early 80s. There was a photo showing him and a rather large Chinon camera (can't recall the model.) 

And yes, I remember the Leyland Brothers show. I always watch it when repeats are shown. The Simpson Desert special they did was really interesting. 

By the way, with all this renewed interest in film lately, I wonder if Kodak will actually release their new super 8 camera any time in the near future.

2 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

I once read in an old magazine that the Australian adventurer and entrepreneur Dick Smith used super8 to film one of his expeditions. This could have been the 70s or early 80s. There was a photo showing him and a rather large Chinon camera (can't recall the model.) 

This one, but in home-movie style. The later ones are 16mm- I expect he dropped S8 like a hot brick when there was the money for 16.

https://dicksmithadventure.com.au/canyoning/

• 2 months later...
On 11/8/2022 at 1:37 PM, Niels kakelveld said:

It looks like they used a Beaulieu camera from Pro8mm, aren't they the most expensive option by far? registration looks pretty poor even by Super 8 standards.

It is the registration that would vastly improve the image quality and there isn't any in a super 8 cartridge. It does look like they had Pro8mm cameras, but why didn't they use the Logmar "Chatam" cameras? Doesn't Pro8mm have at least one of those? That camera has registration and would showcase better than most any other camera, how good Super 8 can look. 

But come to think of it, doesn't a camera with a Ultra Pan 8 mod, have registration pins? If so, that would be the king of the 8mm formats. 

On 2/10/2023 at 10:16 PM, Chris Burke said:

It is the registration that would vastly improve the image quality and there isn't any in a super 8 cartridge. It does look like they had Pro8mm cameras, but why didn't they use the Logmar "Chatam" cameras? Doesn't Pro8mm have at least one of those? That camera has registration and would showcase better than most any other camera, how good Super 8 can look. 

But come to think of it, doesn't a camera with a Ultra Pan 8 mod, have registration pins? If so, that would be the king of the 8mm formats. 

Good registration would certainly help, though probably not noticeable with handheld kinds of shots.  I don't think Ultra Pan 8 normally has registration pins.  Just a proper gate like all the regular-8 cameras, albeit wider.  And of course Fuji's Single-8 system that never really took off.