‘Time’ - Eastman Double X / standard 16mm Aaton XTR XC / Cooke Varokinetal 9-50mm / Cinelab London

• Premium Member

I entered a local Ministry of Culture visual arts competition a week ago…..and I won the ‘video’ category with this piece (originally just intended as a family heirloom). I re-edited the footage processed for me by Cinelab London in DaVinci Resolve. Not many entries from our 33,000 population, so not exactly a Cannes winning equivalent haha but the prize money will be used to shoot something else on my beloved 16mm film. Watch in 2K if you can. The grain is a bit sludgy no thanks to YouTube…..and no I will not be adding ‘award winning cinematographer’ to my legend hahahaha wtf as if

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Different opinion here, about technique. Had you had a contact print made the highlights and the fine shades of bright could have come out. When scanned the grey base of the negative covers these portions.

Content is beautiful.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 5/21/2023 at 9:12 AM, Simon Wyss said:

Different opinion here, about technique. Had you had a contact print made the highlights and the fine shades of bright could have come out. When scanned the grey base of the negative covers these portions.

Content is beautiful.

I find Double X to be of tighter latitude and requires good metering. Overexposure is to be reigned in especially.....it's kind of like shooting with slide film that you're watching blow outs on highlights as opposed to exposing for the shadows and forgetting of the highlights.....depends what you want of course........exterior shooting is more critical when it's high contrast.....that's just my opinion.....I think actual cinematographers give it 1.5 stops either way of latitude and I would agree.....

I love Double X for interiors though.....the interior stuff I had natural light come in off the window - shot at specific times to get what I wanted.....plus an Arri 300w tungsten clamped to a shelf to fill in some bits......that's it.....