Help needed identifying black square in back of Elmo 110 Super 8 camera?

I was looking down the barrel of my 7-70mm fixed zoom lens on my Elmo 110 super 8mm camera and I noticed this black square poking out into the lens. I was wondering if anyone knew what this was? 

The camera is in good working order, but recently it did get knocked over and fell several feet to the ground. Everything seems to be working fine but I'm just trying to make sure it’s not gonna obstruct the film. But in the past I’ve had no issues. 

Also It seems to be in front of the Iris cause the Iris blades close behind it, my best guess it’s to transfer some of the light from the lens to go to the view finder? But any input would be appreciated I’ll attach photos below. 

https://imgur.com/a/xDiSPz0

https://imgur.com/a/sKNQmhQ

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Joerg Polzfusz said:

Could this be the „end of film indicator“?  (I would have expected it to be much closer to the viewfinder and hence not visible on this photo. But it might be worth a try.)

If you have a new film cart, look through the lens and push the cart into place; if this disappears you have your answer.

33 minutes ago, Frank Wylie said:

If you have a new film cart, look through the lens and push the cart into place; if this disappears you have your answer.

Will go buy some super 8mm film, to test this. Also it’s worth noting that running the camera with the film door open it doesn’t look like anything is blocking or obstructing the gate. 

• Premium Member

As you indicated, it could also be part of the beam splitter that transfers the image to the viewfinder, but the shape doesn't seem right for that function. 

Let us know what you find out;  inquiring minds and such...

35 minutes ago, Frank Wylie said:

As you indicated, it could also be part of the beam splitter that transfers the image to the viewfinder, but the shape doesn't seem right for that function. 

Let us know what you find out;  inquiring minds and such...

It is indeed IMO the beam-splitter- the view is off-axis so it doesn't appear as a full rectangle. I can look into the lens of my S-8 camera and see something very similar. It's where it should be; whatever else may have happened, you haven't damaged it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mark Dunn said:

It is indeed IMO the beam-splitter- the view is off-axis so it doesn't appear as a full rectangle. I can look into the lens of my S-8 camera and see something very similar. It's where it should be; whatever else may have happened, you haven't damaged it.

This is great news! Thankfully everything else about the camera seems to be ok, motor runs, zoom still works, shutter stills works etc. 

will probably be investing in a new carry case though, cause the friend who used it last time didn’t close it properly and thus when I grabbed it off the shelf it fell and hit the ground. Feel like I hopefully dodged a bullet. 

• Upvote 1