Bad movies we love!

Boy, you fellows are listing some pretty good movies as "bad" movies. Ridley Scott's "Legend" has always been on my list of real-deal "good" movies...so I guess making bad movies isn't such a bad thing after all!

All of those Italian gothic horror and "giallo horror" movies from the 1960s and 1970s are my "good bad" movies. I can watch those movies over and over -- and I really think most of them actually deserve to be called bad. "The Bloodstained Shadow" is a good example, and in my opinion Dario Argento and Mario Bava's films are all delightfully bad. Bava's "Black Sunday" and "Whip and the Body" are, for me, the filmic equivalent to reading monster mags like CREEPY and EERIE, which I still thumb through for inspiration. Those movies look marvelous, but everyone is as stiff as a board, and the dialogue is so lamely expository and melodramatic that the actors could just as well have big comic-book style dialogue-bubbles floating over their heads! Marvelous.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I got one. I bet none of you have heard of it, either.

It's called "America 3000." It's set in the future, when men and women are at war with each other after some huge nuclear apocalypse (when the women need to reproduce they kidnap a man and use him as a "breeder").

They have all sorts of future slang, if something's awesome, it's "plastic," if someone's dead, they're "cold", see/know = "scan" (I don't scan him; where did he go?).

So this one dude (like, the head of the "guys') finds a bomb shelter/hideout type of thing for the president of the USA, and gets inside, and finds all this modern-ish technology (all the cool stuff went bye bye when the nuclear whatever happened). So he comes back out, and now he's got a radiation suit and a boombox, and rides around on a horse calling himself the "pres-ee-dent" (he learned to read from a children's ABC book).

I think he gets captured by the women later on, and somehow he and the head chick get hot for each other, and the sexes make up and humanity survives. It is AWESOME!

Beat that, mothafu**as.

I don't know guys, Mia Sara still looks hot to me.

She married Sean Connery's son. I guess that's pretty stiff competition, so I'll give up my obsession now. har har

Oh yeah, all those old 50's & 60's B&W horror & sci-fi movies are always fun to watch. Damn near every one of them was a Roger Corman film, too!

1. Day of the Tripids.

2. Attack of the Mushroom People (I think that's the title).

3. The Pit 7 the Pendulum.

4. The Angry Red Planet

5. Fantastic Planet

6. Anything with Vincent Price in it.

MP

Death Race 2000 (1975)- hot rod cars with knives, swords, spikes and guns mounted on them race cross country running down innocent people to get points to win the race. The top diver has a change of heart while being hounded by rivals and a conspiracy seeking to stop the race. It stars David Carradine and Sylvester Stallone. I think that beats yours in spades but let's also go with:

A Boy and his Dog (also 1975). In an apacolypic world A boy communicates telepathically with his dog as they scavenge for food and sex, Rape and murder are concidered recreation. They stumble into an underground community where a superfical and distorted representation of American society is preserved in a twisted totalitarian way. The daughter of one of the leaders of the community seduces the barbarian boy and lures him below, where the citizens have become unable to reproduce because of being underground so long. They use him for impregnation purposes, and then plan to be rid of him. This puppy is bizzare, sick depressing and almost completely devoid of redeeming quailties AND it stars Don Johnson and Jason Robarbs. I love it.

Then there's Cicle of Iron OR The Silent Flute depending on which release you see (1978)-A young martial artist competes for and wins the right to go on a quest for the Book of All Knowlege held by a wizard named Zetan. Along the way, he meets strange enemies and allies--often having difficulty determinimg which is which. The movie's story was written by Bruce Lee and James Coburn and also starred David carradine along with Christepher Lee, Roddy Macdowell and Eli Wallice as a man who spends all his time soaking in oil from the waist down to desolve his...you know...so he won't be consumed by earthly pleasures and can consintraite on the spiritual. This movie is so pretentious and the charactures so bizzare, it's really fun to watch.

The 70's was such a wonderful time.

Coke was more the greed gemeration of the 80's. the me gerneration of the 70's was weed, ludes, free love and disco, anyone of which could warp your sense of reality.

---What about the silver coke spoon necklaces as part of one 's disco outfit.

80s was more the rolled up C-note.

---LV

It was around just not as prevailent as it was in the 80's. In the 80's it was a status symbol. Fashonable drug use, imagine that. Crazy Huh. In fact that's what Blow was about, the transition from Pot to Coke in America. Now Heroin has made a comeback. Unbeliveable.

On a lighter note, I saw Army of Darkness last night ans HAVE to add that to my list. What a cool and completely stupid movie! I will watch it every single tiome I get the chance!

Edited by Capt.Video

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles"

"Short Circuit"

"Robocop 2"

I'm a child of the 80's, what can I say. No matter how old I get, I always see these movies through the eyes of a 9 year old!

You left out "Ghostbusters"!

dolemite - possibly the most flawed and badly produced blacksploitation film of all time.

zombie nights - not that old but very bad, completely impossible to understand and hillarious to watch.

open range

samm

Edited by samm77

Guest Kai.w

Legend

A.I.

Each time I watch this I find some other moment of beauty. Its really edgy all over. You feel how Spielberg fought its way through Kubricks legacy. Weird.

Alien 3

Great Opening. Gets up at the end again.

First off, wasn't the 80's the one known as the "me decade?"

And Ghostbusters is not by any means a bad movie. It fu**ing rules. I loved it then, and I watch it whenever it's on, and it fu**ing rules. Ghostbusters 2, another story.

"The Wickerman"

"Basketcase"

All films with Jerry Lewis with the exception of "King Of Comedy" which is a good film and therefore does not count.

"Faster Pussycat Kill Kill"

"Chucky"

"Pink Flamingos" and "Female Trouble"

Andy Warhol's "Trash"

Disco lasted into the early 80's,. (I'm happy to say I always hated it).

Coke has been around since the early 1900's (and was very popular in the entertainment industry at that time, too). Never even seen the stuff, myself.

That whole "me decade" was just a limp attempt to put a negative spin on an incredible economic growth and raise in standard of living, as a result of the Reagan tax cuts, which his enemies predicted would result in massive poverty; old people living on the streets everywhere, a total collapse of the economy.

When it didn't happen, and in fact got better for everyone, they had to "spin" it into something bad.

"Oh, everyone has more money, can buy more stuff. Hmmm, we can't say that's good, so we'll try to convince everyone that it means they're all greedy and don't care about anyone else, so we'll start repeating over and over how it's the "me decade".

Right. More money is bad.

Anyway, as far as the "arts" of the 80's, I'd say it was New Wave music, an endless supply of "Teen Angst" movies & films with cheezy 80's music playing all throughout, with the obligitory Montage with the characters dancing or skating for no apparent reason:

All the John Hughes movies, all the Brat Pack films, etc., Flashdance, Foothoolse, etc), plus slasher films, and stupid Buddy Cop movies (Beverly Hills Cop, Lethal Weapon, etc.)

MP

Thank you for the history lesson. I wouldn't have had a clue about it IF I HADN"T LIVED THOUGH IT. I lived in LA during the 80's, the most supperficial, trendy and money oriented place on earth at the time except for maybe Vegas, and at least Vegas didn't try to hide the fact that it was supperficial, trendy and money oriented. Anyone who says Regan saved the ecomony is an idiot. The end of the Vietnam war saved the economy. It took us till the mid 80's to recover from Nixion's fight now, pay later war that fueled inflation into the stratiosphere.

Regan mainly lied to the people, tried to start a shadow government inside the government with the CIA's circumvention of Congress in the Iran-Conrta fiasco and put a lot of money into the pockets of rich people who already HAD a lot of money. It absolutely blew my mind that there was so much coverage on his death. I thought I was having a psycotic episode when I heard them saying what a great man he was. Didn't anyone besides me REMEMBER the 80's an what he did to them. Then Bush the first came into power like a worst sequiel to a bad movie and screwed things up even more than they were under Regan and we got to suffer for another 4 years. Good Times! It wasn't until Clinton got into office that the economy really turned around then Ol' G.W. got into office because Bill was dumb enough to to get blown by a 20 year old kid in the oval office in front of a witness and G.W. has managed to tottally f#@k up everything the poor dumb son of a bitch touches...AGAIN.

I also lived though the 70's. We didn't care about much after Nixon tried to turn the country into a totallitarian state. The war finally ended in '75 and so we just consintraited on having fun because ther was nothing else left to believe in. I'm not surprised you don't like disco, how could anyone who likes Regan like disco. Your probably a big Ronnie Milsap fan ain't ya. Oh and for you information, there was massive poverty and a LOT of people, old and young, living in the street in 1985 LA. I know I was there. More money is very bad if it's in the hands of only a few businessmen cuz we all know just how generious businessmen generally are. That's why Mexico is the way it is, and if this Neo-Reganomics we're expirencing now, keeps going the way it is under der furer G.W., WE"LL be the ones crossing the border illegally to get work over there, because that's were our JOBS will have been outsourced to by the upper 2% of Americans who are the only people that will have more money at all! Let's see if you find that bad or not!

don't forget reagan's secretary of the interior james watt. he was a born again christian that believed the world was going to end in 2000, so naturally the gipper put him in charge of the nation's natural resources. he virtually gave away logging leases for federal lands to the timber industry that were worth hundreds of millions of dollars. he told congress that preserving natural resources was pointless since the rapture was coming soon anyway.

he was finally fired after publicly making the comment "We have every kind of mix you can have. I have a black, I have a woman, two Jews and a cripple." regarding a coal leasing committee.

I'd forgotten about that. Unbelieveable. Ahh the good old days. Well as another of my favorite 80's icons, Billy Joel once said, " The good old days weren't always good and tommorow ain't as bad as it seems. " It may not have the beat of Disco Inferno, but it is a damn good thing to remember.