EXR

Question: Who knows of any old freeze storage of EXR filmstocks available??

Some time ago I was looking with the help of Kodak for some EXR and was told there was a large freezestorage of such somewhere in CA but ear marked for a specific production.

Next question; could it be possible that Kaminski and Spielberg are using just that one batch the new Indy film??

:rolleyes:

• Premium Member

About 3 years ago John Toll had Kodak run a fairly large order of 5293 for a film, but I was told by the Kodak rep that he ultimately chose not to use it. I did a short film with it and I can't say enough how much I loved the snap and contrast. I know Kodak was offering some good deals on it, so you may try calling the LA office to see if they have any left.

I think the new Indy movie may (though I don't have proof) be shooting the old Vision '74 and '79; I don't think there is any EXR left at Kodak.

I, personally can't tell the difference in sharpness between EXR and Vision2. But I think I like the colour tone of the EXR more.

But I don't see why anyone in their right mind would bother with an ancient film stock. :ph34r: ;)

This morning I was reading again John Toll's interview in the January 2004 issue of AC, covering "The Last Samurai" and he says that he switched from EXR 5298 (500T) to the (then) new VISION2 5218 (500T) during the shoot. At first I thought that it was an error and he was talking about VISION1 5279 (500T) -because 5298 was discontinued around 1997-1998; "Eyes Wide Shut" got special supplies from Kodak-, but then 5298 was mentioned again, so I don't know. The article is available at the ASC website.

• 4 weeks later...
I, personally can't tell the difference in sharpness between EXR and Vision2. But I think I like the colour tone of the EXR more.

But I don't see why anyone in their right mind would bother with an ancient film stock. :ph34r: ;)

Well you answered your question. If you liked the color tone of the EXR more than the Vision 2 and wanted that same quality on your next project, wouldn't you use EXR instead of something else you don't like as much? Why have to use digital or optical efx to turn Vision 2 into EXR when you can just shoot EXR? Well frozen film will last for long. Or if you can afford it, Kodak will make you afresh new batch. It's all about the look. If you can't agree there, you are in the wrong business, pal.

I line about not wanting the bother with old film stock is a nod to my wish once to cut 5247 into Super 8 cartridges. I now know that to be a very silly idea.

Believe me. If there were Super 8 EXR cartridges on the moon I would have the shipped down to Earth by Neil Armstrong personally. :lol:

i miss the EXR 7248. i have one 100' left and currently in camera. i'm okay because feel the fuji vivid may hopefully satisfy. the vision series just doesnt have what i like about the EXR line, which is contrast, color saturation and dense rich blacks.

• 6 months later...
I have access to quite a few rolls of the EXR 7293 stock, and was just wondering what opinions people had on it?

Shoot it. You'll like it. Overexpose by about a 1/2 to 1 stop. Recently, I shot some 5248, 5296 and 5287

recently. I'll posts some stills.

• 4 months later...

Diving in the camera room in the Film School of Chile, were I teach, found a couple of short end of 5248.

We used it without any compensation just to see how the time could degrade a film stock.

We shot a simple dolly exercise in one of the school patios.. The image finally was really impressive.

Deep blacks, saturated colors and clear definition.. the Iso rate wasn't a problem at all..

I just find some magenta shift in medium to shadows areas.. but nothing so important for at least 10 years of regular to bad storage condition.

all the best

Rodrigo

• Site Sponsor

I recently came across a short end (maybe 650') of 5247 which was put on the shelf in 1987 I took 300' in eyemo spools on vacation to Canada with me shot it as 40iso ran it when I got back looked surprisingly good I'll have to post a few shots. I'm saving the rest for a future project, maybe a mv or something.

-Rob-