Best Looking Digital Movies

Sanjit Majumdar

Hi,

I just want to know your picks for the most visually striking digital films you all have seen. Please just don't include digital movies that look close to 35mm. I want to know your honest picks of the most interesting, beautiful, and dazzling digital films you all have seen. Remember, interesting, beautiful, and dazzling is not necessarily owned by 35mm film.

Yeah, I was just about to say Zodiac.

It's interesting to compare that film with Collateral because they shot a lot of similar content (night/ext) with the same camera, (although I believe Mann ended up using the F900 for some stuff on Collateral). But, they look entirely different. It all comes down to the color sampling I suppose. But, that's not to say Collateral doesn't look great, just a different feel to it.

Another good comparison, already partially mentioned is Che and his most recent, The Informant!, both look fantastic but definitely different--I think it has a lot to do with the vast difference in shooting in daylight vs. tungsten.

Thoughts?

*Edit: Despite what you think of the picture, a marvel in color and technical/digital production: Speed Racer, especially the last 10 minutes or so, a must see on Blu-Ray.

Edited by Sean Bagley

• Premium Member
Best Looking Digital Movies???..... this is an oxymoron. Is this a trick question??

Well, some still have to be better than others, surely.

But, my standout nomination would have to be "Kenny" (2006) .

People are always talking about video formats being ideally suited to the subject matter, and I can think of no finer example than the subject of this feature. :P

On the other hand, some of the other nominations on this thread are so painfully predictable I need to take a couple of aspirins before reading further :wacko:

• Premium Member
Zodiac and Sith looked amazing, IMO.

With the new Arri and Red Epic cameras just around the corner, watch for this list to grow by leaps and bounds soon.

Too late to save your $20 though. I fear that is lost forever.

Or are you hoping Stephen will go double-or-nothin' Mr Last-of-the-Big-Spenders Lowe? :lol:

Guest Glen Alexander
Well, some still have to be better than others, surely.

But, my standout nomination would have to be "Kenny" (2006) .

People are always talking about video formats being ideally suited to the subject matter, and I can think of no finer example than the subject of this feature. :P

Last time I was traveling, I watched some recent films and I just cringed. The amount of false reality, green screen to death crap. The space is so flat that's horrible. I haven't seen a film yet that does a decent job of video. Maybe because to make a flat space work, you need a good flat story, flat characters are easy, just follow Lucas' films. More 2-D characters, flatter than the event horizon of a black hole.

Hi,

I just want to know your picks for the most visually striking digital films you all have seen. Please just don't include digital movies that look close to 35mm. I want to know your honest picks of the most interesting, beautiful, and dazzling digital films you all have seen. Remember, interesting, beautiful, and dazzling is not necessarily owned by 35mm film.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Zodiac, Apocalypto, Collateral, District 9 (best use of RED camera yet I think) and parts of Slumdog Millionaire.

For shameless self promotion check out the trailer for 'Possession' shot with Genesis 3 years ago. It remains unreleased after the Yari film Group went under.

Possession movie trailer

Too late to save your $20 though. I fear that is lost forever.

Or are you hoping Stephen will go double-or-nothin' Mr Last-of-the-Big-Spenders Lowe? :lol:

Stephen would be wise not to count his chickens just yet! He thinks he's got this won, but the fat lady hasn't even begun warming up her vocal chords yet.... We still have more than a year to go. ;)

Guest Glen Alexander
On the other hand, some of the other nominations on this thread are so painfully predictable I need to take a couple of aspirins before reading further :wacko:

Keith,

Any thoughts on the film "Australia", any good? Just the Japanese bombing Darwin? ripoff of Rabbit Proof Fence?

Best Australian film besides Mad Max has to be Wolf Creek. "Like some wa'er from the North'rn Terri'try?"

Yeah, I was just about to say Zodiac.

It's interesting to compare that film with Collateral because they shot a lot of similar content (night/ext) with the same camera, (although I believe Mann ended up using the F900 for some stuff on Collateral). But, they look entirely different. It all comes down to the color sampling I suppose. But, that's not to say Collateral doesn't look great, just a different feel to it.

Another good comparison, already partially mentioned is Che and his most recent, The Informant!, both look fantastic but definitely different--I think it has a lot to do with the vast difference in shooting in daylight vs. tungsten.

Thoughts?

*Edit: Despite what you think of the picture, a marvel in color and technical/digital production: Speed Racer, especially the last 10 minutes or so, a must see on Blu-Ray.

The Informant??? Are you kidding?

• Premium Member
Keith,

Any thoughts on the film "Australia", any good? Just the Japanese bombing Darwin? ripoff of Rabbit Proof Fence?

Best Australian film besides Mad Max has to be Wolf Creek. "Like some wa'er from the North'rn Terri'try?"

I've never seen "Australia" or "Wolf Creek" but those who have tell me I didn't miss much.

Look it's a common misconception that everybody who works in the film industry must be a rabid film buff. This is far from the truth, as least as far as technical people go. We often stumble into the film world by accident, not because we are particularly interested in making movies.

I'm afraid I just can't handle most Australian films, because the producers (or backers) can't seem to let go of the notion that you absolutely have to make sure that even the most inbred Arkansas hillbilly and his wife/sister doesn't leave the thee-ay-ter understanding less than 98% of the story or dialogue.

The only Australian films I've liked have been ones that are specifically made for Australian Audiences, without concern about whether cousin Elmer in the Ozarks might not "get" it.

I can't stand Mel Gibson or Russell Magpie, and I really can't see what all the fuss is about over Nicole Kidman.

• Premium Member
Stephen would be wise not to count his chickens just yet! He thinks he's got this won, but the fat lady hasn't even begun warming up her vocal chords yet.... We still have more than a year to go. ;)

Not gonna happen.

Why do you think a certain person suddenly squelched all his big talk about million-dollar bets? Could it be that the realization that might be people out there who could actually cover such a waver who might also possibly know more about the industry than he does.

Anyway, I'm sure Stephen has his ticket Monaco booked well in advance. :lol:

Explain why you think the Epic is going to be a factor in this anyway.

They don't even have operational prototype ASICs yet, and there's no guarantee when that will that will be. Then they have to "fold" them into the basic canera circuitry they've designed, which will also take time. Then they will have to make a short production run for the intitial debugging the so-called 'Tattoo' program. (Does that mean the participants shout "The Plane! The Plane!" when their cameras arrive?")

So into that scenario, we also have to fit the production lead time for not one, but several general cinema release features, all in a little over 12 months.

Come clean Tom; have you found Thomas James's stash? :rolleyes:

Guest Glen Alexander
I've never seen "Australia" or "Wolf Creek" but those who have tell me I didn't miss much.

Look it's a common misconception that everybody who works in the film industry must be a rabid film buff. This is far from the truth, as least as far as technical people go. We often stumble into the film world by accident, not because we are particularly interested in making movies.

I'm afraid I just can't handle most Australian films, because the producers (or backers) can't seem to let go of the notion that you absolutely have to make sure that even the most inbred Arkansas hillbilly and his wife/sister doesn't leave the thee-ay-ter understanding less than 98% of the story or dialogue.

The only Australian films I've liked have been ones that are specifically made for Australian Audiences, without concern about whether cousin Elmer in the Ozarks might not "get" it.

I can't stand Mel Gibson or Russell Magpie, and I really can't see what all the fuss is about over Nicole Kidman.

ha ha ha. Wolf Creek was actually good in Adelaide there's a fear and mystique about the Bush, they love to talk about it but are scared shitless to go out in it for the most part. I went out to some of the remotest part in SA and VIC, and those hillbillies/Mad Max types are alive and well, ha ha. The guy who played the baddie/lunatic, Dennis Hopper Chainsaw Massacre type, was actually very good, especially if you saw him on his normal gig on McCloud daughters or something like that.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw The Combination earlier this year which is an Aussie movie (more Lebanese made) shot digitally that comes to mind, it was shot on the RED I believe, but it wasn't half bad. I didn't think much of the story though, it's a bit too exaggerated in terms of realism. But we do have some exceptionally great locations to shoot, just have a look at Where The Wild Things Are.

As far as best digital movies go, I'd say Avatar is one of the best (if polished CGI/3D counts). Slumdog Millionaire, Benjamin Button, District 9 and Sin City are ones that come to mind.

I'm still awaiting to see Tetro though.