Crew with dark goggles in 1920th filmaking?

They appear to be burning goggles. Make that "stylized", "period" burning goggles. Perhaps to filter the UV from the arc lights? Or maybe it's just a design element from the costume department?

Edited by JD Hartman

Screenwriter Steven Katz was inspired by the original film, and includes many little touches that ring true; the decadence of jazz age Berlin; the solitude and creepiness of the castle exteriors. He even adds the little factoid that Murnau's crew shot their movies while wearing lab coats and goggles, giving the proceedings a pseudo-scientific air.

Frank

• 3 years later...

I believe the original film maskers wore magenta goggles. This would help them to see the scene as the film would. The effect is similar to the darkroom. It removes the ability to see in color. Seeing a monochromatic view allows one to have an improved view of the set lighting. Perhaps a lost toll of the cinematographers art that could be used effectively today. I'm tired of films that are set so dark you can't see the action.

I believe the original film maskers wore magenta goggles. This would help them to see the scene as the film would. The effect is similar to the darkroom. It removes the ability to see in color. Seeing a monochromatic view allows one to have an improved view of the set lighting. Perhaps a lost toll of the cinematographers art that could be used effectively today. I'm tired of films that are set so dark you can't see the action.

The monochrome viewing filter is a Wratten 90, kind of a dirty amber in color. The screengrabs do show this in the one shot that you can see through the googles. The Wratten 90 only transmits about 10% of the light and passes nothing of the spectrum below about 560nm, so they would also be fairly good eye protection against arc light.

Tiffen still makes Wratten 90 filters AFAIK.