Howard's Keep

Wooda McNiven

It took a couple of years but my film "Howard's Keep" is ready in time for the Halloween season.

Shot all on Super 8 Tri-X, (Canon 1014 XLS and 1014E) it's a ten minute dark fantasy. Make sure to watch it in HD mode and headphones are best but at minimum, turn up the volume... my sound guy did an awesome job.

I finished principal photography not long before Alpha Cine stopped processing film, so it was the lab I used. The HD transfers were done by Perry at Gamma Ray Digital in Boston.

And finally, I've asked for a lot of advice on this forum over the years and so much of it was helpful (thank you) so I had to give cinematography.com a credit at the end. It's only right!

Hope you enjoy.
Wooda H. McNiven

https://vimeo.com/143762163

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for the kind comments about my movie.

I'm just a hobbyist but I learned a lot making this and also received a lot of great advice here at cinematography.com while I was in production.

As some of you may already know, Kodak is holding a Super 8mm challenge. Unfortunately the time limitation for entries is five minutes. This is dissappointing as I would love to have entered "Howard's Keep" but it is ten minutes in length.

Oh well, dems da breaks!

Wooda

• Premium Member

Hey Wooda,

You could easily cut it down to fit with Kodak's super 8 challenge. You just need some clever editing with the old man stuff. Most of his story can be told in 2 minutes. The rest could be the arrival of the visitors. I think it's doable and worth it.

• Premium Member

Very nice! I loved the lighting and the SFX - especially the way you made the roof of the shack appear almost translucent. Reminded me of the end of Repo Men.

I agree with Tyler. Cut it down a bit and enter it.

Congrats and well done!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, I very much like it.

Would love to have a print of that.

Guess I've been away a while. Thank you Jay.

Matt Stevens gave me a lot of great advice recently including a suggestion that I get Howard's Keep made into a Blu Ray format. So that's my goal for this year. I will call up Perry at Gamma Ray Digital and see about getting this done.

That was excellent and really inspiring! I think everyone on here gave you solid critiques so I hope you enter it. I'd like to add one more thought. Perhaps filmming some title cards on Super 8 as well. It's certainly not essential as you can see all of our responses don't suggest our involvement in the story was affected by your title and credit sequences. I just figured that you're in the luxurious position of being picky with a very nice piece of work so why not be picky. I'm looking forward to your next project!