Local 600 Initiation Fees

James Al

I'm still waiting for you to call Toronto 667 Stuart, you can call them tomorrow, they are three hours ahead just so you know.

Not sure what I am doing to your poor poor union brothers other than expecting them to keep the show in focus. Ok well there were the times I whipped a 2nd AC and had the loader thrown into a pit of spiders. But I had all this written into the union contract as an amendment, so it was perfectly legal.

R,

Richard, you've spent this whole thread attacking the unions, now you call them as character witnesses. You've attacked me and my work personally, despite having seen virtually none of it. You've been equally rude to Greg Irwin, a hugely experienced 1st AC, with more work under his belt that you will ever hope to see. I'm not sure what you hope to gain from this, as your every post is read by many hundreds of potential crew members, who I hope will take note of your attitude.

Now, I wish you the best of luck with your next 'dog' movie or whatever it may be. I hope that you get a decent deal from Walmart, and I hope that you have a pleasant time in whatever third world economy you end up shooting in order to accommodate your desire to low-ball your crew.

Best,

• Upvote 1

And you and Greg haven't attacked me personally Stuart? I guess you need read back over this entire thread, if you're going to dish it out, you'll have to take it as well.

You seriously think I would have difficulty crewing a show in the US or Canada if I chose to? It wouldn't take me five minutes, maybe less. You seem to think that a DOP like yourself has some sort of influence in this industry, you have none, so I am not concerned.

R,

Richard, what I was commenting on was your attitude to the unions, not your creative ability. For all I know, The Dogfather is a modern masterpiece, and the Against The Wild movies will be staples of daytime TV programming for years to come.

You're right, you would have no problem crewing a show in the US, but then neither do The Asylum, who have paid as little as $60 for a 12 hr day to PAs and assistants. Being able to crew a movie for no money is hardly difficult or laudable.

And yes, I have no influence, except by what I can say here, and what I can say on set, to protect my crew from the behavior of butt producers who regard them as an exploitable asset. If that includes you, then so be it.

$60.00 for a 12/hour day? Wow, I've been studying the wrong producer manuals, those guys are frigging geniuses! I've had to pay the full union rates, plus workman's compensation.

And yes, I obviously get the insults like this one, oh ha ha ha:

"and the Against The Wild movies will be staples of daytime TV programming for years to come."

So please spare me any moral superiority.

R,

• Premium Member

christ i havent seen someone in such need of a ... in years

r

Alright, alright... We have enough vitriolic commentary going on in this thread and we certainly do not have the need or use to go deeper into the gutter. Afterall, we have young people following this thread.

As to Richard: I have been critical of you but I never got personal with you as you tend to default. I've always been very careful to not cross that line. Your quality of character allows you make personal attacks with reckless regard on numerous members of this forum thus I must conclude that is how you conduct yourself in business. There will always be the weak, the hungry and the inexperienced who will allow predatory producers to take advantage of them till they get more experienced and learn there is another, better way.

Till your projects actually make a dent on the cinematic radar, you will be free to employ your tactics at will. But if the day comes where you find yourself producing a truly relevant picture that requires specific crew experience levels, I predict a rude awakening for you. They will not put up with any of your shenanigans since they function on a higher, more professional intellect than you've been exposed to thus far. I've looked at your IMDb. Your crews are very young or don't have the choice of jobs due to their location. Bravo to you for signing a couple of IA contracts. If you want to evolve, you may be signing them again. Then the crew will read over these recent posts by you and will have a complete understanding of Richard Boddington. Good luck with that my brother.

G

Edited by Gregory Irwin

I've looked at your IMDb. Your crews are very young or don't have the choice of jobs due to their location.

Horse pucky Gregory, pure horse pucky, all of those people have credits and experience up the ying yang, all you did with that comment was insult your fellow union members.

I'm sure you and the rest of the "elite" squad in LA must be nervous, more and more of your jobs are being shipped overseas and none of the viewing public can tell the difference.

R,

• Premium Member

coming from a pompous a** like you.

R,

You just can't help yourself can you? I didn't insult any of my Union brothers. There are very young and hungry Union crews and more veteran Union crews. Nothing shocking there. As for me being nervous... Not really. Remember, I just got home from heading up a veteran camera department in... CANADA! I get travelled all over the world and all under my IATSE contract. Go figure Richy! The big league Union producers must see a value in this or I know they wouldn't do it. Simple math.

G

I know I said I was bored with this conversation. I guess I can't help myself either!

Gregory,

What is the point of this conversation? You won't change anyone on this form. I think the best thing to do is to ignore him all together. Let the man bark. He will stop eventually. A guy with your body of work speaks for itself brother.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Gregory,

What is the point of this conversation? You won't change anyone on this form. I think the best thing to do is to ignore him all together. Let the man bark. He will stop eventually. A guy with your body of work speaks for itself brother.

Thank you so much and you're so right Giray. I'll heed your advice. Cheers!

G

• Upvote 1

And yet you refuse to acknowledge how many US shows leave or have left the US so they can escape the tyranny of the unions. Many have also left Canada, as Canada has chosen to import the US unions into Canada. Which was not as good of an idea as importing Thanksgiving.

Please tell me why Lucas shot all three Star Wars prequels in Australia? They were big budget movies released globally. You seem to think only small low budget features are shot outside of the US and Canada.

Also Red Tails went to Romania, the list goes on and on.....

And you did indeed insult your fellow union brothers and sisters.

R,

As for big league producers....well this past two weeks alone has seen more big league flops at the box office than successes. It's quite the long list.

R,

You won't change anyone on this form. I think the best thing to do is to ignore him all together. Let the man bark. He will stop eventually.

You're right, Giray. No sense in arguing with him.

Now, I need to get back to work. These local car commercials aren't going to shoot themselves, after all.

• Upvote 1

Richard,

You're right sir. What am I saying? His body of work ONLY as a focus puller. I must have forgot it's so easy and trivial a monkey could do it.

Lot's of technology on set now makes this job much easier than it once was.

My point to Gregory is that he likes to insult me and my work, etc, and fair enough I really don't mind. But when it comes from a focus puller, that is my issue. It's not like he's produced 10 movies.

R,

Richard,

What can I say? We can't all be as accomplished as you. Thank you for being a great influence to all of us. You don't have to rub it in though... I'm sure Gregory would love to be as accomplished as you one day. Have a nice day sir.

Thanks to Richard for reverting to English- I had been confusing first AC and operator. Plenty of people stay as operators throughout their careers- it's rarer for a focus puller.

It's fair to say focus puller and producer/director aren't really comparable professions- I wonder if Kubrick was the last man who could have done both - but a producer has to at least understand all the others. If you get pictures in cinemas you probably do.