Possible to Up Res 480 x 360 footage to use for broadcast?

Niamh Mac

HI all

I have an MP4 (h264) file 480 x 360 that I need to use as part of a doc which will be broadcast on TV. The footage itself is a hundred yrs old and only available on film which we cant afford to convert at this point in the project.

Working in Avid, does anybody know if there is a way to up res this footage to make it work for broadcast?

Thanks in advance!

That is going to look crummy in SD and abysmal in HD. You can't add detail that isn't there.

Surely it wasn't transferred at that resolution- can you not get access to the original scan?

Even recording the aerial image off a Steenbeck would look better than what you have.

• Upvote 1

Red Giant has a really nifty plug-in called Instant 4k that does a pretty good job at upscaling images; as it sharpens certain details to give, what appears to be, a higher quality image. Doesn't have to be to 4k I don't think, but can be used for any upscaling I believe (though I'd check first before buying it).

It's not Avid compatible though. May have to throw the clip into something like After Effects first, if it's available to you.

https://www.redgiant.com/products/instant-4k/

Edited by Nathan Walters
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Umm, most of the transcode programs will up res, but the scaling tools bring out digital noise.

The best thing to do is simply scale in Avid. Bring the media in normally and use the 3D warp tool and which will allow you to scale in pretty decent quality. I'd then take the effect, drag it to an "effects" bin and label it. So next time you need to put another clip in, just drag the effect over and you're all good. Yes it will need to be rendered on older Avid systems, but anything from 6.3 onwards, it should render that effect on the fly.

• Upvote 1

Thanks everybody. the footage is over 100 years old so the loss of quality would be *I think * unnoticeable, and the frame would always have to be adjusted or sit 4.3 inside 16.9 with a frame anyway.

We have access to the original film reel but no money to digitise .

We'll give the red giant plugin and 3D warp a bash and see how it turns out.

Thanks a million for the advice! I'll check back in when we've found a workable solution!

• Upvote 1

i adopt this technique : in quicktime - export in a folder - image sequence, then open these images in photoshop and upscale each image in batch processing, then back to quicktime to create a file.mov from these image sequences at frame rate of your choice.

Hope it helps