Commuting from Ridgecrest for film work?

Samuel Berger

I can't take Seattle any longer, I never see the sun except during the Summer. I want to go back to the Los Angeles area but the wife insists we buy a house.

The only decent place I see within our budget is Ridgecrest. I'm wondering if anyone working in cinematography commutes to L.A. from there. After all, it's not an every day commute.

I'm not interested in Palmdale or Lancaster, I think the only other place that comes to mind is Tehachapi. California City is too run down and looks bleached out of life.

I also like Ridgecrest for being a Red piece of Arizona in crazy Blue Southern California and home prices are very decent.

• Premium Member

If you aren't a top guy, ya gotta live where the action is. I learned that from friends who lived east, around an hour outside of Hollywood. When they moved, worked dried up. Ya gotta stay close... I'd say Santa Clarita would be the furthest I'd live and contemplate being a 'regular' in hollywood. The reason is simple... ya gotta be out networking all the time. If you've got a commute, then you won't be able to do those events and frankly, that's what it's all about!

Samuel,

Do it! You will have a huge advantage of having instant access to the Trona Pinnacles and China Lake, when you need creative inspiration or you are needing to teleport to an alternate dimension. B) You can make it happen, but you have to plan on the level of a James Bond villain. Plan on being on the West side of LA, twice a week until you begin to land decent gigs. DO NOT tell anyone about your mountain stronghold. I have made that trip several times, it's not bad. Planning and commitment will make it happen. You will sleep in peace while everyone else is sweating the basic essentials.

• Premium Member

I grew up in Ridgecrest and was just there today visiting my parents for Thanksgiving. It's a 3-hour drive to Los Angeles, which is not really doable as a daily commute for a job (and you'd need even more time if you were coming in at the same time as everyone commuting from Lancaster / Palmdale, so make that a 4-hour drive). The landscape right around Ridgecrest is not that exciting but it is close to a lot of interesting places to photograph -- Red Rock Canyon, Trona Pinnacles, Olancha sand dunes and Fossil Falls. And beyond those, there are the Sierra Nevada mountains and Death Valley. As a boy scout in high school, it was great to have such great camping options.

The town itself is not that exciting to live or shop in, a half-dozen restaurants, a WalMart, etc. No Indian food! :( One small multiplex for seeing movies. When I was growing up, there was a drive-in and a single screen theater, both gone -- since it took six months for movies to arrive in town back in the 70's, I used to go to Lancaster to see movies. And for any serious shopping.

Personally, life is too short to spend half of it commuting. I'd live closer even if it meant a smaller place. The farthest north I'd consider is Santa Clarita, where CalArts is.

Thanks, David, it does sound like too much. I wish I had bought in Valencia back in 2009 when it was cheap, now even Palmdale prices are going up again for no reason. I imagine that if we bought something somewhere like Tehachapi until we were able to afford somewhere better, we would never recover the investment. And for a few years the soul-sucking commute would be almost as depressing as never seeing the sunlight, which is what happens over here. I hate hate hate it here in Washington.

Samuel,

Do it! You will have a huge advantage of having instant access to the Trona Pinnacles and China Lake, when you need creative inspiration or you are needing to teleport to an alternate dimension. B) You can make it happen, but you have to plan on the level of a James Bond villain. Plan on being on the West side of LA, twice a week until you begin to land decent gigs. DO NOT tell anyone about your mountain stronghold. I have made that trip several times, it's not bad. Planning and commitment will make it happen. You will sleep in peace while everyone else is sweating the basic essentials.

Thanks James, I understand the alternate dimension thing. ;-) But David is right, it's not sustainable as a commute.

• 3 months later...

Well folks, the date is set. We drive back in July! I will be listing a lot of my film cameras for sale on here soon, hopefully they will find homes and help fund the move.

I hope it won't be too difficult finding a house to rent. If I end up in Palmdale, oh well, beats Seattle any time. I'm done with grey skies and rain.