Kevin Mastman

Shooting in the rain

Posted (edited)

I need to be prepared to be shooting in the rain in Northern Alaska.  What can I do to protect the camera and onboard monitor while still having access to the controls and being able to see my image?

I'll be shooting on a C300ii on a shoulder rig with matte box, follow focus, 5" monitor and gold mount batteries on the back.  

Thanks!

Edited by Kevin Mastman
typo

Kevin. as mentioned I would buy one designed for the camera or one of the Portabrace storm covers .. they are expensive but will keep the rain out.. I don't think there is any rain cover that isn't a pain by the definition alone.. its covering stuff .. :)..   Ive also found using the French flag on a Mattbox, is great for keeping the rain off the lens .. which is the biggest nuisance really..

The c300 is a bit more of pain as it doesn't have a "real" EVF.. I think your better off having your eye /head up against the camera looking through an actual EVF, than a monitor shooting hand held in the rain.. maybe get a Zacuto EYE or something .. Zacuto also have a very good anti fog filter for EVF,s..

12 hours ago, Robin R Probyn said:

The c300 is a bit more of pain as it doesn't have a "real" EVF.. I think your better off having your eye /head up against the camera looking through an actual EVF, than a monitor shooting hand held in the rain.. maybe get a Zacuto EYE or something .

You can make an excellent Zacuto replacement using one or two close-up filters and something to hold them.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, David Mawson said:

You can make an excellent Zacuto replacement using one or two close-up filters and something to hold them.

As an anti fogging filter ..?  or an EVF ..?   sorry but cant visualize that .. 

Edited by Robin R Probyn