Phil Tippett interview, Bolex + Auricon

Here's a little interview film that I made about my boss, VFX artist Phil Tippett, as he completes his personal film project "Mad God" (http://watch.madgodmovie.com/). The distributor is going to include this on the disc release so I am only sharing this link here. I pre-recorded and edited the dialogue digitally, then shot the optical sound in an Auricon CM-72 camera, then re-shot the images on the same film in a spring-wind H16 Bolex. Lenses were a 10mm and 25mm Switar.

I was originally going to cut all in-camera, but I ended up doing some re-ordering of shots in the edit. The sound is a mixture of the original digital recording and the optical sound. Since the camera didn't have a sync motor, I ended up having to chop up the digital audio at any pause in the voice track to re-establish sync.

private vimeo link

Edited by Webster C
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

Well done Webster, that was great!

I tried to watch the trailer at the Mad God website you linked to but it won't play. Have you helped with the Mad God project? I'm curious to know more about it, it looks really interesting.

39 minutes ago, Dom Jaeger said:

I tried to watch the trailer at the Mad God website you linked to but it won't play. Have you helped with the Mad God project? I'm curious to know more about it, it looks really interesting.

Thanks Dom! Sorry about the link, here's a better one (I will try to edit the original posting): Mad God on demand

Yeah, work was slow over the last year so I helped out a lot with the final push to get a new installment of Mad God completed. It's still in post-production, and there's a feature-length compilation of all the parts that is going to come out next year. We did a lot of fun stuff: stop-motion, slow motion miniatures, full-size sets, live action, pyro. Super fun (and sometimes dangerous!) to work on. Phil mostly shoots with a Red camera that he purchased a couple of years ago.

When you're actually building, setting up and shooting you don't have time to document things properly.  So this mini-documentary was my attempt to capture the tail end of that working experience.