ALCS Aaton LTR external crystal speed generator

Aapo Lettinen

• Premium Member

Hi you all!

I am working on a external crystal speed generator which can output a suitable crystal reference signal for Aaton LTR (and likely could work with the XTR too. I am only able to test it with LTR).

Don't want to reveal the design just yet but it is a multi speed generator, all speeds crystal, at least 12 crystal speeds, price is around 300 usd + shipping. It will be pretty compact in size and can be wired to take operating power from the 9-pin accessory connector of the camera.

it does NOT include the original 9-pin connector which attaches it to the camera because they are super rare, very expensive, pretty much impossible to get in large enough quantities that I could stock them and I don't have resources to get new ones custom made. If someone has spare 9-pin connectors and wants to manufacture and sell cables, this would be a good opportunity ? 

If you happen to find a connector for it, then you can easily wire it by yourself, just need to connect 12v + and - pins and the frequency input pin so 3 wires total. If not, then you can do the same than I did here: took a jumper wire and stuck it to the 9-pin camera connector directly. Should work for most basic use if you make strain relief to the wire and you can always replace the wire with new one if ruining it, I can include a bunch ( 10 pieces cost something like a dollar or so) so that you don't run out easily.

I tested the crystal speed input on the camera today with one of my oldest crystal boards and it seems to be possible to run it down to about 1fps or so (tested with 1.25fps and the camera still rolling fine). Likely the lower fps on the controller will be very low like 1 or 2 fps and the highest way over 50, probably something like 75fps or so.

53191364026_666dba59ee_k.jpg

53191163309_52c6346ac5_k.jpg

This is a spinoff project of the new ACL 12-speed controller I am working on, I am using some of the same crystal modules of it and assembling at the same time in November2023. I already have all the technology and boards made, just want to decide the exact specs before publishing them.

Let me know by DM if wanting to order one. Will post pics in couple of weeks after I have locked down the exact speed presets and how the front panel will look like ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I am going to make couple of pieces of a "pre-production version" of the Aaton LTR speed generator if someone would like to order one in October2023.  From 4 to 5 pieces available, price is 300 usd a piece + shipping. The controller allows choosing crystal  framerate in 1fps steps from 1fps to 50fps with the 23.976 and 29.976 and 33.333fps included.

Let me know ASAP if wanting to order one. the final version will cost more (likely from 360 to 400usd) and takes longer time to deliver, I am selling these pre-production ones cheaper because they have lower quality prints on the control panel and I am financing the next batch by selling these.

Pictures will follow when I have finished writing the firmware for the device.

Please note that the device does not have a connection cable included, you will need to figure out the cable by yourself. I will include jumper wires which can be used to directly connect the wires to the Aaton's 9pin connector if you don't have the suitable cable materials available and you can run the camera just fine if connecting it like this.

• Premium Member
On 9/27/2023 at 12:39 PM, aapo lettinen said:

I am going to make couple of pieces of a "pre-production version" of the Aaton LTR speed generator if someone would like to order one in October2023.  From 4 to 5 pieces available, price is 300 usd a piece + shipping. The controller allows choosing crystal  framerate in 1fps steps from 1fps to 50fps with the 23.976 and 29.976 and 33.333fps included.

Let me know ASAP if wanting to order one. the final version will cost more (likely from 360 to 400usd) and takes longer time to deliver, I am selling these pre-production ones cheaper because they have lower quality prints on the control panel and I am financing the next batch by selling these.

Pictures will follow when I have finished writing the firmware for the device.

Please note that the device does not have a connection cable included, you will need to figure out the cable by yourself. I will include jumper wires which can be used to directly connect the wires to the Aaton's 9pin connector if you don't have the suitable cable materials available and you can run the camera just fine if connecting it like this.

The batch size will be 5 pieces and you can already order one. Just send me a DM and we can discuss about details.

price 300usd a piece + shipping. Shipping is typically about from 40 to 50usd to most countries.

The device generates a external crystal signal which can be fed to the Aaton LTR and allows choosing crystal speed in 1fps steps from 1fps to 50fps with the 23setting being 23.976fps,  29setting being 29.976fps and 33setting being 33.333fps.

the device is quite small, it measures about 6cm X 6cm X 3cm without the connector.

You need to order and pay for the device in October 2023, preferably ASAP as I will start assembling as soon as getting at least one order. I have all the parts already available so will just wait for an order to start to put the devices together.

Will try to get some kind of reference picture of the front panel in the weekend so that you can see what kind of user interface it is. It has three buttons to set the speed and a tiny display which shows the selected speed. Output is via a small 4-pin connector which can be easily wired to the camera's 9pin connector either by using jumper wires or, if you have one, using a compatible 9-pin connector like the original Aaton devices do (I don't have suitable 9pin connectors so I am just selling crystal generators).

• Premium Member

Prototype of the 50-speed external crystal generator for Aaton LTR. It already works correctly, just need to install the 4-pin connector and screen protection glass to make it complete.

53224844109_7d2d7c2952_b.jpg

53223586322_f2f83d6638_b.jpg

This pre-production version with white panel and handmade markings is possible to order now for 300usd + shipping, will make a small batch of 5 to cover the cost of developing the next version which will be much more expensive. Available only in October2023 with the orders shipped in early November. Does not include a 9-pin Aaton cable (don't have time and resources to hunt down connectors and rather want to concentrate on making the devices themselves good, anyone can make a cable easily at home after all) but you can connect it to the camera with jumper wires or if having suitable materials you can make your own connection cable to connect it to the camera. Jumper wires work just fine for starters and you will be able to immediately use it with the camera with those.

How it works: when choosing new speed, you will push the RST button to reset the controller. After reset you will get to the FPS selection mode with the setting defaulted at 24fps. If wanting other than 24fps, use up and down buttons to set the speed in 1 fps steps from 1 to 50fps with the "23" setting being 23.976fps, the "29" setting being 29.976fps and the "33" setting being 33.333fps and all the other steps being the exact fps the number shows. After you leave the buttons unpressed and still for about 15 seconds it sets the speed. The selected fps will stay on the display until power down or next reset.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 9/30/2023 at 10:43 PM, aapo lettinen said:

Prototype of the 50-speed external crystal generator for Aaton LTR. It already works correctly, just need to install the 4-pin connector and screen protection glass to make it complete.

53224844109_7d2d7c2952_b.jpg

53223586322_f2f83d6638_b.jpg

This pre-production version with white panel and handmade markings is possible to order now for 300usd + shipping, will make a small batch of 5 to cover the cost of developing the next version which will be much more expensive. Available only in October2023 with the orders shipped in early November. Does not include a 9-pin Aaton cable (don't have time and resources to hunt down connectors and rather want to concentrate on making the devices themselves good, anyone can make a cable easily at home after all) but you can connect it to the camera with jumper wires or if having suitable materials you can make your own connection cable to connect it to the camera. Jumper wires work just fine for starters and you will be able to immediately use it with the camera with those.

How it works: when choosing new speed, you will push the RST button to reset the controller. After reset you will get to the FPS selection mode with the setting defaulted at 24fps. If wanting other than 24fps, use up and down buttons to set the speed in 1 fps steps from 1 to 50fps with the "23" setting being 23.976fps, the "29" setting being 29.976fps and the "33" setting being 33.333fps and all the other steps being the exact fps the number shows. After you leave the buttons unpressed and still for about 15 seconds it sets the speed. The selected fps will stay on the display until power down or next reset.

I had some extra casings and thus decided just to move on with the pre-production version and start assembling them.

A batch of 5 will be completed in the following weeks and are available for order now. Price is 300usd a piece + shipping.

There has been very little interest so far and thus it is likely that I will not make a "more refined" version of this simple controller and this white "pre-production version" will be all what is available for now. I will finish the batch of 5 and will then wait for them being sold out before planning anything else for the LTR.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
45 minutes ago, Kamran Pakseresht said:

Just curious what the benefit of this is over the controller that just comes standard with these cameras? Or is this meant more as a repair for non-functioning cameras?

what controller do you mean?  most cameras don't have any original external controllers and there is pretty much none available used either.

the LTR has only one built in crystal sync speed (either 24 or 25fps) which on some cameras is changeable between 24 and 25 and other cameras (like mine) is permanently set to either one. All the other speeds on LTR are generated with a simple RC oscillator and are typically off by about half an fps or so.

Originally I developed this controller because aftermarket or used ones are not available and I needed crystal sync 24.00fps with the camera. But I just used a bit more effort on the design and made a device which can output from 1 to 50fps crystal speeds in 1fps increments with the 23.976, 29.976 and 33.333fps included. The 33.333fps is especially helpful as that is the most used MOS framerate for slow motion effect on feature and tv-series productions.

So this controller is meant to expand the features of the LTR camera so that it can be used better for serious filmmaking on indie shorts and features. Additionally it is lot more affordable than original Aaton accessories as well, this device costs 300usd + shipping and if using it with direct connection of wires to the 9-pin connector on the camera like I do, you don't need anything else to run the camera with it. A piece of velcro is recommended though so that you can attach the device to the camera or onboard battery

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Christmas sale between 10. December - 20. December:   the 50-speed crystal controller 250usd + shipping.

Payment before 24. December, Delivery in late January 2024. Shipping is typically about 50usd to most parts of the World. 5 pieces available.

Let me know by DM if interested.

53388133898_0bd37f8531_b.jpg

53388254149_e2fcdd517d_b.jpg

53387947876_fa51d7bab8_b.jpg

53388133883_20f089c24e_b.jpg

53388133928_e3f40857c9_b.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
On 12/10/2023 at 3:24 PM, aapo lettinen said:

Christmas sale between 10. December - 20. December:   the 50-speed crystal controller 250usd + shipping.

Payment before 24. December, Delivery in late January 2024. Shipping is typically about 50usd to most parts of the World. 5 pieces available.

Let me know by DM if interested.

53388133898_0bd37f8531_b.jpg

53388254149_e2fcdd517d_b.jpg

53387947876_fa51d7bab8_b.jpg

53388133883_20f089c24e_b.jpg

53388133928_e3f40857c9_b.jpg

Christmas sale ended long ago but I have JANUARY SALE now. (normal price is 300usd + shipping)

January sale: the 50-speed Controller 270 USD + shipping. Applicable for all orders made in January2024, will assemble the devices in the end of January/ early February depending on the amount of orders.

Please note that the device should work on XTR camera 100% though I haven't had possibility to test it as I only have the LTR here. If you consider this controller for the XTR but are unsure, you can just order the device and if it somehow magically would not work you can send it back for refund (though is DOES work as the interface and specs are the same ? )

Normal payment is via PayPal in USD but for EU customers it is possible to pay iban transfer in Euros to save some % on paypal costs and it is possible to get a VAT invoice if you are purchasing for a EU VAT registered company

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 1/10/2024 at 10:37 PM, aapo lettinen said:

Christmas sale ended long ago but I have JANUARY SALE now. (normal price is 300usd + shipping)

January sale: the 50-speed Controller 270 USD + shipping. Applicable for all orders made in January2024, will assemble the devices in the end of January/ early February depending on the amount of orders.

Please note that the device should work on XTR camera 100% though I haven't had possibility to test it as I only have the LTR here. If you consider this controller for the XTR but are unsure, you can just order the device and if it somehow magically would not work you can send it back for refund (though is DOES work as the interface and specs are the same ? )

Normal payment is via PayPal in USD but for EU customers it is possible to pay iban transfer in Euros to save some % on paypal costs and it is possible to get a VAT invoice if you are purchasing for a EU VAT registered company

Have sold couple of devices so far and everything seems to be going well with this design.

I still have parts for building about 4 to 6 devices with approx. 2 to 3 weeks lead time. After that, I will likely take at least a half year break and possibly design a next model if there is still demand for these devices. The possible next model will be considerably more expensive (I would expect from 700 to 1000usd depending on the features) so if wanting a very affordable Aaton speed generator, I advice ordering this first model ASAP as there is limited supply of them and I will likely advance towards more expensive designs right after the first batch of these affordable controllers is sold out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

COLLECTING THE FINAL ORDERS FOR THE AATON 50-SPEED CRYSTAL GENERATORS. I can still build couple of these devices (about 3 or 4) before running out of parts and then need to discontinue the device. Order before 15th March, price is 290usd + shipping a piece for these last devices.53388133928_e3f40857c9_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 2/26/2024 at 10:22 PM, Aapo Lettinen said:

COLLECTING THE FINAL ORDERS FOR THE AATON 50-SPEED CRYSTAL GENERATORS. I can still build couple of these devices (about 3 or 4) before running out of parts and then need to discontinue the device. Order before 15th March, price is 290usd + shipping a piece for these last devices.53388133928_e3f40857c9_b.jpg

I HAVE STILL PARTS FOR A TOTAL OF 2 DEVICES. Can assemble them between April 4 and May 10 if there is still orders, let me know ASAP if wanting one as I have lots of other projects and need to schedule carefully to be able to assemble any extra stuff like these.

Those 2 are the final ones of this device type and it is uncertain if/when I would make another speed generator for the Aaton (if will, they would be about 3x the price of this device so no affordable ones available after these are sold out) so let me know asap if wanting one of these.

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Stephen Perera said:

hi there can you explain in simple terms the benefit/use of what you have created?

it is to allows shooting other crystal speeds than 24/25 with the camera. Originally I developed it for my own camera which only has non-switchable 25fps crystal speed and I needed it to shoot 24fps crystal but it is of great value for any user needing framerate versatility with the LTR.

The normal LTR only has one crystal speed (24 or 25, either user switchable with minimal tools or painful to switch or not possible to alter) and every other internal speed is generated with RC oscillator which is not accurate at all, normally the other speeds the camera has are off by about half fps or so and can vary depending on temperature and mood of the camera etc.

The 50-speed external generator makes it possible to shoot even low speeds crystal sync (for example 1fps, 2fps etc crystal sync) and it enables crystal framerates like 23.976 (stuff going for web/file based instead of dcp) and 33.333fps (most common slow motion framerate when shooting on film). Additionally it is very handy to have 48fps and 50fps crystal sync speeds because they enable shooting slow motion effects for music videos with sped up playback, very common "cool effect" if the band is just able to play that fast 🙂

• Premium Member
On 3/18/2024 at 12:55 PM, Aapo Lettinen said:

I HAVE STILL PARTS FOR A TOTAL OF 2 DEVICES. Can assemble them between April 4 and May 10 if there is still orders, let me know ASAP if wanting one as I have lots of other projects and need to schedule carefully to be able to assemble any extra stuff like these.

Those 2 are the final ones of this device type and it is uncertain if/when I would make another speed generator for the Aaton (if will, they would be about 3x the price of this device so no affordable ones available after these are sold out) so let me know asap if wanting one of these.

just sold one device so I ONLY HAVE ONE PIECE AVAILABLE FROM THE LAST BATCH. So if wanting one, this is the last chance to order, I don't have parts to make more and will concentrate on the expensive controller from now on