Is it even possible to use Mitchell Standard mount lenses on a 2-Perf Techniscope camera?

I have access to a set of Mitchell Standard Mount lenses which I am currently attempting to use with a 2-Perf Techniscope 35mm camera (I do not own this camera yet, nor have I chosen one at this time). The three most common mounts for 2-Perf Techniscopes cameras on the market are Arriflex Standard Mitchell BNC, and Mitchell BNCR. I have spoken to a camera technician who has made it clear to me that it is impossible to simply "adapt” any Mitchell Standard lens to fit an Arriflex BNC, or BNCR mount without a complete rehousing of the entire lens itself. 

So my question is this: which of these two options would cheaper/more feasible for achieving what I want? Converting a Mitchell Standard mount 4-Perf 35mm camera to 2-Perf Techniscope (if that’s even possible)? Or conversely rehousing this set of Mitchell Standard mount lenses in order to be able to fit either an Arriflex Standard, Mitchell BNC, or Mitchell BNCR mount? Thank you, and I look forward to hearing your insight as always. 

• Premium Member

If the Mitchell Standard mount was designed with a shorter flange depth for a non-reflexed camera, I'm not sure how the lens could be adapted for a reflex camera with a spinning mirror shutter. It's easy to go the other direction, put a lens designed for a longer flange depth on a camera with a shorter one just because all you need is a mount extension.

As for adapting a Mitchell Standard to 2-perf, I would assume the same movement from a Mitchell BNCR would work, but I don't know who is selling just the 2-perf Mitchell movements plus how easily that could installed in another Mitchell.  It seems you have to first start with finding the 2-perf camera and then finding the lenses for it, and accepting that perhaps your Mitchell standard mount lens won't work on it.

There is a discussion here about Mitchell flange depths:

https://cinematography.net/edited-pages/Flange_Focal_Distance_For_BNCR_Lenses.htm

• Upvote 1

As far as I know Techniscope 2-perf was a modification made to existing 4-perf cameras, though I've heard that there were 2-perf movements made for some cameras and that Panavision can also supply some of their 35mm cameras with 2-perf movements. Other than that I don't think there were any Techniscope 2-perf cameras that came out of any factory at any time but I could be wrong. I'm sorry but I don't know about Mitchell so don't bother reading on if you're not interested in alternatives.

The best bet for 2-perf these days for low-budget is to get someone to modify a 4-perf MOS Arri IIC or 35-3. Bruce McNaughton at Aranda in Australia did two 2-perf conversions for me, on a IIC and a 35-3, but he has retired now and sold all his machining shop equipment. I think there's someone possibly in Munich who is doing 2-perf conversions now. Uli who posts on cinematography.com has gotten him to do some work. Both the IIC and 35-3 can also have their lens mounts changed to Nikon F if this is of any interest to you or anyone else.

The FFD works out fine with these two models of cameras. PL lenses are much more expensive to get hold of even if you hire. I'm sure Nikkors will give pretty good looking footage and I soon hope to do some tests to know for sure. Focus pullers might not like them.

Edited by Jon O'Brien

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
On 11/8/2023 at 5:29 AM, Jon O'Brien said:

. I think there's someone possibly in Munich who is doing 2-perf conversions now. Uli who posts on cinematography.com has gotten him to do some work.

Daniil Nevsky has converted my 2C to 2perf with a PL mount. Excellent work. He is based in London at the Unitbag. 

The technician based in Munich Jon mentions is Georg Bogner and he does SR Super16mm conversions. 

C91FCC40-B81F-4876-96A0-C423031B67D2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1