Kodak Super 8mm camera launched

Stephen Perera

• Premium Member

The 'long-awaited' new super 8mm camera from Kodak.....let the dissection begin

The KODAK Super 8 Camera MSRP is $5,495 USD

https://www.kodak.com/en/motion/page/super-8-camera/

What's Inside the Box: Pelican Case, KODAK Super 8 Camera, Wide Angle 6 mm Lens 1:1.2, C-Mount Cap, Lens Cap and Lens Hood, Pistol Grip with trigger, KODAK Super 8 Camera Battery, Micro USB Charging Cable(s), KODAK Super 8 Camera USB Power Adapter, Cleaning Cloth, KODAK TRI-X Black & White Reversal Film 7266

Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 10.40.52.png

KODAK-SUPER-8-Camera-datasheet.pdf

Edited by Stephen Perera

• Premium Member

...so Kodak in their infinite wisdom decide to include film that my lab of choice will not touch.....

e.g. Cinelab London: We only process Kodak colour negative film. We do not process Tri-X Reversal, Kodachrome, Ektachrome, or B&W 8mm film. 

regardless of that it looks super cool as a product design....

Edited by Stephen Perera

That's great news about the camera. I feel the price tag will put a lot of people off? 

2 hours ago, Stephen Perera said:

...so Kodak in their infinite wisdom decide to include film that my lab of choice will not touch.....

e.g. Cinelab London: We only process Kodak colour negative film. We do not process Tri-X Reversal, Kodachrome, Ektachrome, or B&W 8mm film. 

regardless of that it looks super cool as a product design....

There is a lab that I think has excellent results and they process / scan Tri-X Reversal: https://www.gaugefilm.co.uk/ They're based in the midlands (Wolverhampton).

I haven't shot Super8 in a while but I always used these guys for my colour neg process and scanning. They were really professional and helpful.

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stephen Perera said:

Thanks Dan! the price tag? prob want to try get the music video DPs who are all into film these days and good for them!

Yeah $5,495 is steep but that's just me on top of buying film, processing and scanning. I would rather just use my older Super8 camera. However, if I had the money I would probably buy one!

Ha yeah I can imagine it will be used on music videos for sure.

• Premium Member

Everyone is moaning about the price tag but I am sure that if the camera could be offered cheaper, it would be. Back in the Super 8 days, there were hundreds of thousands if not millions of potential buyers of cameras. That market doesn't exist anymore. It probably cost Kodak quite a bit to develop the camera. The target market appears to be professional cinematographers and prosumers and there aren't as many out there. And by the way, I remember looking at some of the top end Beaulieu cameras when I was a kid in the 70s and they cost a fortune too ?

Edited by Uli Meyer
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Uli Meyer said:

Everyone is moaning about the price tag but I am sure that if the camera could be offered cheaper, it would be. Back in the Super 8 days, there were hundreds of thousands if not millions of potential buyers of cameras. That market doesn't exist anymore. It probably cost Kodak quite a bit to develop the camera. The target market appears to be professional cinematographers and prosumers and there aren't as many out there. And by the way, I remember looking at some of the top end Beaulieu cameras when I was a kid in the 70s and they cost a fortune too ?

Totally agree......the only bad decision here is the film they give out with the bundle.....should have been any of the Vision3s

5 hours ago, Uli Meyer said:

You're right of course it would cost them a lot, I get that. I'm just saying if I had the money I would.

Absolutely love that they've put the time and effort to bring a new camera out!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Stephen Perera said:

what I meant was giving out the film few labs develop

I didn't mean to quote you in that post, how odd. Anyway, Kodak develops it. Creates more customers for their labs.

Edited by Uli Meyer