most watched films

Ram Shani

• Premium Member

As a teenager, I was quite into rewatching movies in the theater multiple times. I saw "Star Wars" about twenty times in the first release, "E.T.", "Close Encounters", "Empire Strikes Back", "Raiders of the Lost Ark" etc, about the same.

Since 1980, I've seen "2001" projected about ten times, luckily mostly in 70mm. Same with "Lawrence of Arabia". Those two and "Seven Samurai" are probably the longest movies I've rewatched the most number of times in theaters.

On DVD/video, it's hard to say since I like to rewatch portions of my favorite movies but hardly sit down to watch them from beginning to end. Plus some movies are more rewatchable than others, which has nothing to do with whether they are the best movies or even my favorite movies. God knows how many times I watched "The Ten Commandments" or "The Wizard of Oz" when it was on TV as a kid.

I've rewatched "Citizen Kane" and "Blade Runner" many times on DVD, not to mention the "Star Trek" movies. I like watching parts of "A Bridge Too Far" over and over again for some reason... "Alien" is another favorite.

I like catching part of "Gone with the Wind" whenever it plays on TV. Almost any musical number shot in Technicolor will hold my attention when I run across one on TV.

"Casablanca". "Yankee Doodle Dandy". "His Girl Friday", etc. are all movies that I stop & watch when I run across them while flipping channels.

• Premium Member
hi

just wonder what is your most watched films?

and how many times you wathced them??

ram

My wife bought me the deluxe "Lord of the Rings" set for Christmas. I've probably watched each of those 6 or more times each. "The Man Who Would be King", "Dr. Zhivago" and "Lawrence of Arabia" more than a dozen although I've only seen LoA once in the theater and never DZ or TMWWBK in the theater. "The Third Man" I've seen many times. "Dr. Stranglove" is above a dozen, same with "Lolita". "Star Wars" and "Raiders" are up there although I guess I don't need to see Star Wars again but my boy has the set so I'm sure I will.

Comedy-wise, the good "Pink Panther" movies and "The In-Laws" I've seen many times. "Annie Hall", "Manhattan", "Groundhog Day", "Fletch" for some reason.

I've only seen "Citizen Kane" once. I waited years for it to play in a theater near me and I only went that one time.

peter pan (animated disney version) = 10 times

lord of the rings (f.o.t.r.) = 5 times in the theater

pinocchio (animated disney version) = 10-15 times

amadeus = 10 times

The 5th element = about 30 times

fantasia = about 50

#1...

dumb and dumber = over 50 times at least... and fastforwarding/rewinding to that bit where harry nails mary with a snowball on the ski slopes (while stoned) - probably over 1,000

Without doubt my favourite and most watched film is "Edward Scissorhands"

Just so magical, and the score by Danny Elfman has to be the best film score ever!!!!

stoop

I've seen "Spinal Tap" probably 25+ times. "Boogie Nights," "Fight Club," and the original Star Wars triology at least 10 times each. Never gone to a theatrical release more than twice. I imagine what you're finding is that we're talking more "comfort food" here than actual cinematic magic. A friend of mine puts on "The 'Burbs" nearly every day as she's milling about the house.

So no "It's a Wonderful Life"rs yet? Huh.

• Premium Member
one word, six syllables - ZOOLANDER

You lost me on that one man. I'm only counting three syllables. I couldn't even get through "Zoolander" once.

For me it's "The Fellowship of the Ring", "Count of Monte Cristo", "Princes Bride", "The Bourne Identity".

Predator - 400+ times... And that ain't no joke. Funny enough that film doesn't even make my top 100. :blink: The Big Lebowski has had a screening about once a week since it was released on DVD. As far as cinema movies go - in the UK its just tooo damn expensive to go more than a couple of times (@ £9 a pop) unless its at the Prince Charles.

Edited by djdumpy

8 1/2 -

even after dozens of viewings, every time i watch it i notice several conceptual and formal elements that i hadn't before. incredible dream sequences too.

hercules in the haunted world -

mario bava's first color film... totally gorgeous. it takes full advantage of three-strip technicolor-- the bold. graphical cinematography stops you dead in your tracks. actually, that's how i first took note of it. i was walking past a tv as an old crummy transfer of it was airing on a cheap local channel in ohio. a few years ago, it was finally released on dvd and the transfer is top notch. highly suggested rental. "planet of the vampires", too.

Life is Beautiful.

Homicide (by David Mamet).

Defending Your Life.

The Man Who Wasn't There.

Grand Illusion.

3 O'Clock High.

Leon: The Professional.

Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown.

Whalerider.

The Blues Brothers.

• 3 weeks later...
Dune :ph34r:

Bladerunner

I cant help myself with Empire and Return of the Jedi

The Blues Brothers..

hmmmm

Russian Ark I saw about 5 times in theatre

Waking Life is probably third after Dune and Star Wars et al

Add Donnie Darko and The Big Blue to that list also

8 1/2 -

even after dozens of viewings, every time i watch it i notice several conceptual and formal elements that i hadn't before. incredible dream sequences too.

hercules in the haunted world -

mario bava's first color film... totally gorgeous. it takes full advantage of three-strip technicolor-- the bold. graphical cinematography stops you dead in your tracks. actually, that's how i first took note of it. i was walking past a tv as an old crummy transfer of it was airing on a cheap local channel in ohio. a few years ago, it was finally released on dvd and the transfer is top notch. highly suggested rental. "planet of the vampires", too.

---the last three-strip technicolor films were made in 1955.

Plus anamorphic lenses, except long focal lengths couldn't be used on the cameras because of the prism.

CinemaScope helped speed up the demise of Three-strip.

'Black Narcissus' is the epitome of three-strip. 'Kismet' (non musical 40s version) is fine example of three-strip, but otherwise a mediocre film. The Powell-Pressberger Technicolor movies, most are photogaphed by Jack Cardiff, are among the best examples of three-strip.

& Bela Lugosi's 'Scared to Death' seems to be the best example of Cinecolor floating around today.

'Gallant Bess' would be second.

I usually wind watching 'Forbidden Planet' and 'Tora! Tora! Tora!' when they show up on Turner.

Though my favorite part of the latter is the planes taking off from the Japanese carriers at dawn from 'I Bombed Pearl Harbor'. There's something about those exhaust flames.

---LV

• Premium Member

Hey,

I probably should mention a title that will impress folks but it has to "Dancer in the Dark".

Sure, all that handheld DV was irksome. It is the musical numbers that amaze me and I generally hate musicals. The scene on the faltbed train still blows me away. The loggers walk on the moving flatbed. They walk yet stay in frame as the train passes. His cut aways to scenic wides. The fast cut cuts of alternative subject framing. WOW! That Lars can really interpret the medium in a bold and artistic way.

Guest gregorscheer
hi

just wonder what is your most watched films?

and how many times you wathced them??

ram

Montana Sacra (Jodorowsky) and the rocky horror picture show are probably the ones I watched most

THE TERMINAL

by Steven Spielberg

with Tom Hanks

THE TERMINAL THE TERMINAL THE TERMINAL

THE TERMINAL THE TERMINAL THETERMINAL

THE BEST

• Premium Member
Amazing how some films stay fresh after so many years.

The Godfather 1 and 2

Shawshank Redemptio

Touch of Evil

Elizabeth

For me, I'd have to say thing like TOuch of Evil, Lawrence of Arabia, and a lot of old silent films draw me in over and over. A lot of old movies just have a mystique to them I love. Newer movies I've watched a ton are Kevin Smith's movies, Road to Perdition, American Beauty (I still can't decide if I like the ending or not :huh: ), and definately Quentin Tarantino's stuff.

In theaters I rarely see a movie more than twice, but since I have had a free passage card to watch as much movies as I want for a whole year with a guest if I wish, I saw Kingdom of Heaven 6 times and The Aviator 3 or 4 times.

Now as far as DVD, I've seen so far:

The Return of The King: 23 times

La Vità è Bella (Life is Beautiful): 13 times

Bad Boys: 7 times

The Godfather 1&2: ~ 4 times

Edited by Oliver S

Guest Michael King

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Strange Brew (don't ask me to explain)

Many people posted Blade Runner. I just saw the director's cut three days age. I haven't seen the original since I was a kid. Blew me away. But wouldn't it be annoying to live with bright shafts of light wafting outside your apartment window? You'd be walking to your bathroom and BAM, blinded!