Landon D. Parks

Oliver Ojeil

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe he is dead... :unsure: I think the fact that there is a thread about him says something? he seems to stand out for the good or bad. Or maybe he is just innovative in weird way. Either way, he seems to have the attention of this forum. :D

good luck landon!

That's called professionalism, Phil. It has little to do with having "no expense spared," and everything to do with the fact that everyone on a professional set is qualified to be there, knows their job, and goes about doing it in an efficient and professional manner. Student shorts are, well, student shorts. The experience level is low, the jobs are less defined and the unit manager and producers are usually, well, students. High end production is like a factory, it runs well because the parts are carefully fitted and work well together. "Jerks," such as you put it, are not usually tolerated. Some crew members are less social than others, but that doesn't make them "jerks." All crew members are expected to do their jobs professionally and efficiently when their number is called. If they don't, they're gone. Pure and simple.

Hi,

um I dont know if I would go that far! I have worked on various types of productions in LA, mostly low budget as DP, but other positions on big budget shows too. For example a long time ago I was a PA on a $30m feature (it never ended up being released, and will remain nameless) and although almost all of the people working on it where highly skilled/motivated union members, it was probably the biggest clown-show I have ever worked on, and conversely the best organised and smoothest shoot I have ever worked on in my life was a 20min short that cost about $20,000. Also I have experienced many very unprofessional "jerks" on large budget films, more so than on low-budget in fact. For example the two multi-million ($30 and $15m) dollar films I have worked on (One as PA, one as art Dept.) both had union grips who were absolutely terribley behaved!!! they were two different sets of grips, but both made rude comments to production staff and made lewd comments to any decent looking female on the set, I nearly got into a slugging match with one because he physically threatened me after I protested him making sordid remarks to an underage extra.

I have lots of freinds who are grips, and these guys knew how to grip, but there behaviour lead to massive problems and tension on set, none were sacked or even disciplined. It is something that is hard to quantify but the smoothness of a shoot, and professionalism of a crew is only sometimes directly proportional to budget. The truth is there are people with bad attitudes in all ranges of the spectrum, and clowns in high as well as low places. So it is something that has to be evaluated on a per-project basis.

P.S. I like and respect grips in general these guys were obviously the exception to the rule.

Cheers.

I've seen a few sets in LA and it always seems like a vastly easier working environment

My time around LA I haven't worked on any large studio productions. I have several friends who do work on them in different capacities.

I've visited the sets of various network and cable shows. There are those sets where everyone is very friendly, the cast and crew feel like family. One place I really experienced this was at Law&Order. Which is actually shot in New York, but anyway.

I have been to a couple of sets of network and cable shows. Where the people weren't very friendly, didn't seem particularly happy, there was the odd feeling of stress in the air, and it wasn't unusual to hear yelling.

maybe he is dead... :unsure: I think the fact that there is a thread about him says something? he seems to stand out for the good or bad. Or maybe he is just innovative in weird way. Either way, he seems to have the attention of this forum. :D

Innovative?! If by innovative, you mean acting like a big shot filmmaker without ever making a film, then, yes, he's the pinnacle of innovation. Has Landon ever so much as pressed the red button on the family video camera? Lot's of talk, little action, from what I have seen.

A pattern with some of the great filmmakers has been making films from an early age. With Spielberg and his generation, it was 8mm cameras. Today's directors all grew up shooting videos (Shyamalan). Heck, I shot four or five short films from the time I was ten to fifteen (all very embarrassing now, of course).

Landon, your window of opportunity is running out! If you don't start shooting films right away, you will never be a famous director! :o

Josh

As for being the CEO of Firestorm Entertainment, it seems he's not the only one. There's this Firestorm Entertainment, game developers, oddly enough also started by 14 and 15 year olds. Then there is this Firestorm Entertainment, actual fire twirlers. Then there this Firestorm Entertainment, record producers. Then there is this Firestorm Entertainment, also in the music business. It's not easy being the CEO of Firestorm Entertainment... there's lot of competition for the job!

Hopefully there will be a new company name to go with the updated Flash web site.

Hey, I'm not piling on Landon, but since he's the topic of the day, I figured I'd do some research.

Edited by Joshua Provost

"Hey, I'm not piling on Landon, but since he's the topic of the day, I figured I'd do some research."

Oh yeah? Well I'm IMDB'ing your name right now, Josh!

:angry:

D'oh!

<_<

I'll be damned. Never mind.

(2 minutes later..)

I checked again..

It was 'Johan' Provost after all. (not Josh)

:P

I believe my work is finished here.

:ph34r:

Edited by TSM

• Premium Member
Outstanding. I don't think I've ever come across a project more deserving of dismal failure.

It is widely acknowledged that the downturn in cinema attendance over the last three years or so is due to the piss-poor quality of the product. When are the production companies going to do something about it?

Phil

I'm tellin' ya, it's that chemical sludge they try to pass off as butter on the popcorn that's driving people away. Seriously, I used to drive the extra distance just to go to the last theater in town that actually used REAL butter. Too bad they closed.

in the end i bet landon is a 78 year old retired DOP who is now missing his job and finally having a wee laugh whilst taking the piss with his posts...and dont be fooled by the picture, its obviously him "rejuvenated" in photoshop.

i think we are making this whole darn thing a wee bit bigger than what it is. let the man have fun and let's get back shooting

regards

freddy

Guest Jim Murdoch
Hi,

He last signed in on 4 th December, so I guess he is running his empire!

Stephen

Wasn't Landon going to finance his upcoming epic with the proceeds of some software "Killer Application" that he was going to write when he got round to it?

As far as I'm aware, all he's ever "produced" was a short "film" shot on Mini-DV. Or am I thinking of someone else?

I think his finest moment was posting a stinging criticism of Spielberg's "War of the Worlds" a couple of months before he could possibly have seen it!

(Or maybe he's actually Steven Spielberg posting under a nom-de-screen) :D

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith
Danny boy,

The pipes, the pipes are callin...

People will take you seriously if you present yourself professionally. If one were to encounter both Daniel J. Yadayada and Steven Spielberg on a film set- one would assume that he, rather than Daniel, would be the director. Yes? Taking offense at the situation you desribe is ridiculous and having that attitude won't get you in many doors.

"People" will yes, but the "jerks", they can't see anything in myself worth taking, so they feel the need to just tread down on me. But either way I'm not going to let them stop me.. so who gives a damn.

""But either way I'm not going to let them stop me.. so who gives a damn.""

Exactly. B)

The older I get the more I realize how being a jerk to someone, especially someone younger or less experienced (in any field, profession or situation in life) always stems from some kind of insecurity or complex.

There's no such thing as being a jerk 'for the hell of it' or to get a quick laugh from your peers. Jerks are not cool, even though the physical feeling of putting someone beneath you can give that effect. Being a jerk in our world seems like the equivalent of being the baboon with the loudest roar and the biggest, greasiest pink ass in the animal kingdom.

A jerk does not have any real confidence, and usually needs to keep others at bay to maintain stability in a black and white world of self loathing and innadequecy.

We're all guilty of being jerks at some point in time, but it's the people that aren't willing to accept why they're jerks that really piss me off.

"People" will yes, but the "jerks", they can't see anything in myself worth taking, so they feel the need to just tread down on me. But either way I'm not going to let them stop me.. so who gives a damn.

yeah daniel,

you are right but at the same time i dont think you should be so cocky and lie like you said you did on that BBC production...i mean i am a student myself and i would do anything to get into the business but i would never risk to make a jerk of myself because i said i had the experience that i actually dont have. most of the times instead people love ambition and passion and they are ready to give you a try...you may be lucky once and get away with it but the next time you embarass yourself when people realise you actually dont know what youre doing

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith
yeah daniel,

you are right but at the same time i dont think you should be so cocky and lie like you said you did on that BBC production...i mean i am a student myself and i would do anything to get into the business but i would never risk to make a jerk of myself because i said i had the experience that i actually dont have. most of the times instead people love ambition and passion and they are ready to give you a try...you may be lucky once and get away with it but the next time you embarass yourself when people realise you actually dont know what youre doing

Well it was a risk, thing is I very much doubt they would have hired me if I'd of told them what experience I did have. Now when I apply for these things I actually have some experience to show them, and I won't need to lie.

Paid off though. To be honest I doubt the series will be aired, if it does then that'l be amazing (and no, this board won't hear the end of it..) I was actually kind of worried, because on that site with the interview with Chris Clarke it says they have made 6 episodes. I only know about the two I shot, unless they've dropped me and continued making them with someone else I don't know, it may just be some crap they've told the media to make it sound big.

But anyway. Doesn't matter now, I got the experience, so I got what I wanted out of it. I know that sounds kind of sellfish but in this industry it's all about doing what's right for yourself. Only difference is, I don't go overboard with it like some people. i.e. the people who don't give a damn who they offend and what they destroy. When it comes to this little series I want whats best for myself and my colleagues.

(Oh btw, merry xmas Jonathon, hope things are good for ya man)

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

• 6 years later...

I don't mean to bring up an ancient subject (e.g. 2005), but I was browsing Google to see if anyone was talking about me - and sure enough, this little topic popped up at #3. Since everyone (at the time anyway) seemed to be interested in what happened to me, I'll oblige :-).

I ended up getting involved in Theatre, helped to form the Bloomington Repertory Theatre Company where I served as Artistic Director from Jan 2010 to April 2011. While there, I directed both Narnia: The Musical and The Boxcar Children. I am now living in Orlando, Florida - getting ready to move to Cincinnati area to began working on constructing yet another theatre company.

You can check out some of my work and reviews/photos/videos from Narnia on my website, MY WEBSITE.

I just thought it was pretty cool that you guys kept a multi-page forum topic on me :-). Film is still not out of the question, but I have grown up A LOT and learned much more in the last several years - and having looked back on some of my posts when I was younger, I really feel like an idiot trying to act like I knew everything.

Anyway, I hope everyone is doing awesome :-), and thanks for the topic :-)).

- Landon Parks

"Landon D. Parks - made it yet?" - It depends on how you look at it, I suppose :-)

Edited by Landon Parks

I don't mean to bring up an ancient subject (e.g. 2005), but I was browsing Google to see if anyone was talking about me - and sure enough, this little topic popped up at #3. Since everyone (at the time anyway) seemed to be interested in what happened to me, I'll oblige :-).

I ended up getting involved in Theatre, helped to form the Bloomington Repertory Theatre Company where I served as Artistic Director from Jan 2010 to April 2011. While there, I directed both Narnia: The Musical and The Boxcar Children. I am now living in Orlando, Florida - getting ready to move to Cincinnati area to began working on constructing yet another theatre company.

You can check out some of my work and reviews/photos/videos from Narnia on my website, MY WEBSITE.

I just thought it was pretty cool that you guys kept a multi-page forum topic on me :-). Film is still not out of the question, but I have grown up A LOT and learned much more in the last several years - and having looked back on some of my posts when I was younger, I really feel like an idiot trying to act like I knew everything.

- Landon Parks

"Landon D. Parks - made it yet?" - It depends on how you look at it, I suppose :-)

This topic introduced me to you and read a bit about what you were doing such a number of years ago. How old are you by the way?

• Premium Member

Hi Landon,

I remember suggesting you did not host your web site for free in the past, I still think you would come over more professional if you did.

Best

Stephen

- Landon Parks

This topic introduced me to you and read a bit about what you were doing such a number of years ago. How old are you by the way?

Hi Marcus. I'm 24.

Hi Landon,

I remember suggesting you did not host your web site for free in the past, I still think you would come over more professional if you did.

Best

Stephen

Hi Stephen. Yeah, that website was just a little side project I put together back in May of 2011, with the intention of hosting it once it was completed. But given that I'm not really "professional" yet or even at a point where most anyone would be interested in hiring me based on my resume, I just sort of pushed it to the wayside.

Happy shooting ;-)

Landon