Landon D. Parks

Oliver Ojeil

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith
Well, if we were truly elitist, we probably wouldn't participate on this site, would we?

Yes, to look good. And by the way that wasn't about everyone, only individuals.

• Premium Member
Yes, to look good.

Well, I'm not sure an elitist would care about looking good to the people who hang out here, but anyway, my point is that the people in Hollywood who really don't care about young people, and don't want to help them, generally don't participate in these sorts of forums anyway. So while some of us may beat up on you young guys now & then, it may just be a sign that we care enough to attempt to "correct" a misperception about the way things work in the film industry.

Yes, there are always some people who don't want to be helpful at all, who just want attention.

Well, I'm not sure an elitist would care about looking good to the people who hang out here, but anyway, my point is that the people in Hollywood who really don't care about young people, and don't want to help them, generally don't participate in these sorts of forums anyway. So while some of us may beat up on you young guys now & then, it may just be a sign that we care enough to attempt to "correct" a misperception about the way things work in the film industry.

Yes, there are always some people who don't want to be helpful at all, who just want attention.

That's fair enough I'll agree with that.

Just curious..

Theoretically, out of, let's say.. 100 people in the Hollywood film industry (any job) .. how many are elitist a-holes? Are they rare? Hollywood always seemed like a close knit family to me. I can't really picture being a jerk and making it in film production where being a people person is like a prerequisit..

Am I being too naive here?

Heck, if Hollywood's full of scumbags what's the point in aiming to work there some day?

• Premium Member

Hi,

> I can't really picture being a jerk and making it in film production

I can't picture not being a jerk and making it in film production!

As for the actual working experience - I've seen a few sets in LA and it always seems like a vastly easier working environment than something like a student short here. Okay, so there's no expense spared and therefore no excuses, but actually being given the opportunity to excel does at least make excellence possible!

Phil

• Premium Member
Heck, if Hollywood's full of scumbags what's the point in aiming to work there some day?

Hollywood is just like any other industry, with its share of con artists, a-holes, worker bees, geniuses and idiots. Perhaps we reward idiocy a little more than some other business -- I used to work at a major insurance corporation and generally management was fairly competent, whereas producers in Hollywood seem to need no other job skill than to bring money to the project (not that that's an easy thing to do.) But some of the dumbest people I have ever met in Hollywood have been at the top of the pyramid, not at the bottom.

But in terms of jerks, I don't think the average film set has more of them than the average office.

The thing about these jerks is that they know who to be nice, to. For instance, a jerk, on a film set, with myself and Steven Spielberg, he's be a complete toss pot to me but would be licking Spielbergs ass.

• Premium Member
The thing about these jerks is that they know who to be nice, to. For instance, a jerk, on a film set, with myself and Steven Spielberg, he's be a complete toss pot to me but would be licking Spielbergs ass.

Danny boy,

The pipes, the pipes are callin...

People will take you seriously if you present yourself professionally. If one were to encounter both Daniel J. Yadayada and Steven Spielberg on a film set- one would assume that he, rather than Daniel, would be the director. Yes? Taking offense at the situation you desribe is ridiculous and having that attitude won't get you in many doors.

Spielberg, ass, bad mental picture!

Anyway.

There are a**holes everywhere. There are also good people. That's how it is. You will find this anywhere you go.

My point about King Kong was basically that sometimes I get tired of having to think about everything. So sometimes, I feel oddly comforted by movies where I feel like it is easier to sit back and enjoy it, because I'm *not* necessarily analyzing everything. Candy for the brain I guess. And no, that's not a knock at Peter Jackson at all. I enjoyed his latest film for the same reason that I enjoy early Stephen King novels; maybe it doesn't cause me to lie awake pondering life's mysteries, or make some drastic change in my life...but it does entertain me.

Guest Trevor Swaim

I agree 100% annie. King Kong is now on my list of desert island movies for many of the same reasons that The Princess Bride is there. first and formost they are good fun.

• Premium Member
... My point about King Kong was basically that sometimes I get tired of having to think about everything. So sometimes, I feel oddly comforted by movies where I feel like it is easier to sit back and enjoy ...

I suspect the reason why the majority of film critics and ticket-buyers (including myself) say they really enjoyed the new "King Kong" is because it's a very satisfying human experience. Most of us (Westerners?) enjoy its particular sort of "satisfying".

Obviously it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but that's hardly a reason not to create such stuff in the first place. If the new "King Kong" were the only kind of film being made -- and this clearly isn't the case -- then we might have a problem.

As I'm always reminding my fellow left-leaning neighbors: "Berkeley isn't the world."

The new "King Kong" isn't the film world, either. Compared to Bollywood? Film in China? I'm asking, I don't know: Do the world's film-goers really care much about what either fans or detractors of the new "King Kong" think about it?

I'm happy I live in a world where Mr. Jackson's "King Kong" and Bollywood happily co-exist.

Edited by Peter DeCrescenzo

"Heck, if Hollywood's full of scumbags what's the point in aiming to work there some day?"

this question hurts my brain.

it's like when you tell a robot "this statement is a lie" and he blows up.

by the way, Landon Parks' posts are what got me hooked on this site.

mmmm. train wrecks!

Jon Barr

Philadelphia, PA

I can say one thing for Mr. Parks: the interesting first name and prominent middle initial will set him apart from all of the Ryans, Brians and Johns floating around out there. When I see the name Landon D. Parks, it smells, like, victory.

Regards.

~Karl

Re: weatherman --- nothing against your cat, Peter. You (or someone else) mentioned a certain studio sucking because of its releases this year, the Weatherman among them. I was simply saying, in my opinion, that it was not that bad, compared to the others on yours (or whoever's) list.

re: trainwrecks -- that's why I visit DV.com. And the only reason.

• Premium Member

I'd like to applaud Landon on his amazing display of self restraint. Either that, or he's on a Gulfstream IV on his way to Aspen with Brad Grey and the rest of the Paramount Studio brass and can't be bothered with us scrubs.

Edited by Wendell_Greene

• Premium Member

I'd like to applaud Landon on his amazing display of self restraint. Either that, or he's on a Gulfstream IV on his way to Aspen with Brad Grey and the rest of the Paramount Studio brass and can't be bothered with us scrubs.

Hi,

He last signed in on 4 th December, so I guess he is running his empire!

Stephen

LOL !

(it did seem someone was noticibly absent).

-Sam

As for the actual working experience - I've seen a few sets in LA and it always seems like a vastly easier working environment than something like a student short here. Okay, so there's no expense spared and therefore no excuses, but actually being given the opportunity to excel does at least make excellence possible!

Phil

There's a mythology in the student and too much of the indie world that a fim shoot is *supposed* to be some kind of pure chaos. That Production is inherently a bunch of autocratic individuals, seemingly at war with anything creative. It's a self-perpetuating mythology unfortunately.

I don't think "no expense spared" (where is THAT magic kingdom ?) is a requirement for a productive working environment. Yes I know all about the "short hours and high pay" :lol: believe me.

One example of this mentality was an interview with Gordon Willis by some indie / student type I read online not long ago.. sorry I'll have to paraphrase but it was pretty much this:

Q: How do you deal with the chaos on the set ?

A: [Willis] I don't allow chaos on the set.

-Sam

That's called professionalism, Phil. It has little to do with having "no expense spared," and everything to do with the fact that everyone on a professional set is qualified to be there, knows their job, and goes about doing it in an efficient and professional manner. Student shorts are, well, student shorts. The experience level is low, the jobs are less defined and the unit manager and producers are usually, well, students. High end production is like a factory, it runs well because the parts are carefully fitted and work well together. "Jerks," such as you put it, are not usually tolerated. Some crew members are less social than others, but that doesn't make them "jerks." All crew members are expected to do their jobs professionally and efficiently when their number is called. If they don't, they're gone. Pure and simple.

Edited by mmost