best diffuser material @ walmart? or elsewhere?

• Premium Member
Hi,

Tracing paper.

Stephen

Ditto-Cut it, frame it, score it for FX then throw it away. Available at art supplies buy it in rolls. Does not melt but will burn if left for long periods unattended.

Seen few grip trucks without a roll or two

Edited by asparaco

Hi,

Tracing paper.

Stephen

I was going to say the same thing, except you will have to go to an art store (maybe OfficeMax/Staples) and they don't call it "tracing paper" much any more - mostly thanks to CAD. Bond and vellum are the original tracing papers. The plastic sheets are what you want. The kind used in plotters.

You didn't say how big you wanted them. If you are only using a small frame, or want to drop them in the gel holder right in front of the lamp, then Bogen sell a nice variety pack of diffusion gels for $20 - then you can decide for yourself what's best.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...oughType=search

• Premium Member
I was going to say the same thing, except you will have to go to an art store (maybe OfficeMax/Staples) and they don't call it "tracing paper" much any more - mostly thanks to CAD. Bond and vellum are the original tracing papers.

A quick google search for "tracing paper" shows rolls of tracing paper 36' x 50 yard rolls at $18USD from muliple sources

Hello TMM,

I use this and it works very well. Go to your local grocery store and get some parchment paper

it's fairly cheap and comes in a long roll. It looks like waxed paper, but parchment paper can

withstand heat up to 420 F (that's hot). It gives off a nice, soft light.

Mike

Guest G . Stephen Bruno

i was also thinking about parchment paper, although,a few months ago, i had to do a quick storm proofing of my bathroom window, i took a old clear heavy duty shower curtain and cut it to size, when the sun came out the next morning.... :o blown out windows, and no not from from wind ;)

Edited by G . Stephen Bruno

• Premium Member
Hello TMM,

I use this and it works very well. Go to your local grocery store and get some parchment paper

it's fairly cheap and comes in a long roll. It looks like waxed paper, but parchment paper can

withstand heat up to 420 F (that's hot). It gives off a nice, soft light.

Mike

I was intrigued and went out and bought some . Works really nice, perfect for a three light kit. Tracing paper still works better for big sources but for broads and small fresnels the parchment paper is very heat resistent and you can take it home after the shoot and bake cookies!

Learn something new on this forum worth the price of admissision

• Premium Member
I was intrigued and went out and bought some . Works really nice, perfect for a three light kit. Tracing paper still works better for big sources but for broads and small fresnels the parchment paper is very heat resistent and you can take it home after the shoot and bake cookies!

Hi,

I did not know what parchment paper was! It's clear now!

Thank you

Stephen

This is a Professional board, try a Professional solution. Keep that Wally world crap in your no budget DIY DV forums.....

Page 180 of "Film Lighting" by Malkiewicz- James Wong Howe talks about using tin coffee cups as reflectors... and that's probably the most civil response you're going to get on this board in regards to your absurd comment...

This is a Professional board, try a Professional solution. Keep that Wally world crap in your no budget DIY DV forums.....

Maybe he is just DoP'in for films that don?t care about budget... Wally world rocks! And they are everywhere. Come on man!!

Guest G . Stephen Bruno

WOW!, what a first post there buddy. you should fit in just perfect.

Wally World sucks, they take advantage of there employees to no end, i know, i live in the wally world capital and have been burnt by these devils for too long. 11% jump in sales from 04-05, did i even get a thank you note?

i personly would rather pay a couple more dollars for lawnchairs, if it meant my brother at the checkout counter got paid a little more.

anyway, lowbudget gurilla films rock, try the dollar store, that should piss ol' amishjim off real good.

stay cool