Making a 1 minute 35mm print with soundtrack...

Freya Black

Hiya,

I was wondering how much it would cost to make say a 1 minute, or even a 100 ft print with optical sound.

I'm in the u.k. but I welcome replies from anywhere to get a rough idea.

If you do actually do this kind of thing in the u.k. or have any knowledge of it, (recommended labs etc), then please do chip in too! :)

As an aside, I also wondered about titles, although I assume it would be a lot cheaper to shoot them myself during filming!

Thanks in advance for all your help!

love

Freya

Edited by Freya

Hi-

Call your lab, some have a minimum footage charge. You might be able to make your movie TWICE as long for the same price! :)

Thanks Patrick, that was something I was wondering, whether there would be a minimum order! I suppose I could even make 2 films and make them as one print and cut them in half! ;)

(or even keep them that way so they play one after the other! )

love

Freya

What is your source material?

Good question, ECN2 35mm colour neg. Probably the soundtrack would be on fullcoat.

love

Freya

i can recommend you a company in germany that charges 900? for a 60 second print, including audio. i dont know how cheap or expensive that is in relation to other countries.

I suspect that it will be near that here too, so thanks for the feedback. I can't imagine it's going to be a viable idea, I just like the idea of a real 35mm print, but in reality it will probably have to be video projected along with the film commercials. :)

love

Freya

• Premium Member

At that length, your greatest expense will probably be for the optical sound master. A typical quote (in the U.S.) will be minimum $1,500, regardless of length. If anyone knows of a facility that offers this service for a significantly less minimum, please let us know. Thanks.

At that length, your greatest expense will probably be for the optical sound master. A typical quote (in the U.S.) will be minimum $1,500, regardless of length. If anyone knows of a facility that offers this service for a significantly less minimum, please let us know. Thanks.

according to www.xe.com 900? are 1,092.11 USD US$ so its a bit cheaper here if that helps you :)

Thanks to you all! :)

I am getting the impression from looking around that it will be much cheaper to just make a silent print and run in the sound async from cd. Thats a lot more limiting but what the hey! :)

Any idea what a timed print straight from the camera neg (no sound) would cost me? I've been taking a peek at the prices on the forde site but to be honest I don't really understand all the print jargon. :(

But prices in germany or anywhere are welcome! ;)

love

Freya

Edited by Freya

This sounds pretty high as a minimum to me.

Have you tried Trackwise (NYC) FotoKem or NT Audio (LA) ?

can't help with UK labs. (it's been awhile since I delt with optical masters...)

-Sam

The Cinema Lab in Englewood, Colorado has a 400' minimum to transfer audio to 35mm magstriped stock at 11 cents per foot. They have a 200' minimum for transfering to a 35mm optical track, 40 cents per foot for mono and 50 cents per foot for stereo. Their site is down right now but you can contact them at:

The Cinema Lab

2375 South Raritan Street

Engelewood, Colorado 80110

Tel: 303-783-1020

Fax: 303-806-0555

...Any idea what a timed print straight from the camera neg (no sound) would cost me? I've been taking a peek at the prices on the forde site but to be honest I don't really understand all the print jargon....

Forde's price for a timed answer print (first trial print) from a single 35mm roll is $1.17 per foot and I think 200' minimum. They will add on a threadup length charge but that should be all unless you add a B roll.

They don't quote a sound rate as they don't have a soundtrack developer applicator for 35mm the last I heard. The other Seattle lab however (Alpha Cine) is set up to make sound prints.

(Color positive prints need to be redeveloped in the track area to put silver back in, to make it playable on conventional projectors. Someday the industry is supposed to change over to cyan dye tracks and then Forde will be quite up to date. :-) In the meantime the high magenta tracks are supposed to be used.)

I have a writeup on my website about 35mm audio and high magenta sound tracks at http://www.tobincinemasystems.com/page51.html . It is there in anticipation of our offering video to 35mm film transfer, which is currently in development.